LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community nugget: Code Capture Tool 2.0

When the snippet feature was introduced in 2009, some people thought that this would be the end of the Code Capture Tool (CCT).

Well, they were wrong. It's back. Bigger, better and cooler.

For those who don't know the CCT, it's a small utility which you can use to make screenshots of LabVIEW code, either for sharing or for documentation. You can see here  for more details.

For those who already know it, now's the time to introduce the new features. The following video shows them nicely, but to recap:

• The CCT now supports creating snippets (in any version from 7.0 and up).
    The snippets themselves will only be usable in LV 2009 or later.
  • You can now add annotations and sketches in the preview window.
    This will allow you to draw attention to specific parts of the code.

Here's a video demonstrating the new (version 2.0) features: the video might take a while to load but it's worth the time
You can download the Code Capture Tool 2.0 at LAVA.

Here are a series of videos on the CCT (1.0 and 2.0).

Have fun,

Yair and Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
Message 1 of 11
(8,104 Views)

Here are some captures with these version, showing both the annotations and snippet features:

A capture with LabVIEW 2009 with an annotation.

GetScreenCoordinates.png

A capture (no snippet) with annotations and arrow pointers

Example_VI_BD.png

A capture created with  LabVIEW 7.0

A snippet with annotation.

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
My LabVIEW Ideas

Message 2 of 11
(8,089 Views)

A big thank you to Darin (stig.jpg)for finding out how to make a snippet!

Ton

My LabVIEW Ideas

Message 3 of 11
(8,075 Views)

You are more than welcome, great job with the CCT.  I have a few more tricks up my sleeve that I'll try to organize and share so the CCT stays ahead of the game.  In another forum I have given code to Jim (jcarmody) to convert PNG pictures containing snippets on a block diagram into the code itself.  This gives a very nice method for users of older versions to use the snippet feature.  He should have a RCF plug-in soon for that.  It should be easily converted to a VI for the Tools menu as well (perhaps as part of the CCT itself).

I have also worked to add autoselection of controls linked to property nodes as well as adding controls when a wired terminal is selected but not its source (more like snippet behavior).  I have also experimented with including subVIs.  Still a work in progress.

Once again, great job.  

Minor note: I do like the dashed frame that LV puts around snippets.

Message 4 of 11
(8,053 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

Minor note: I do like the dashed frame that LV puts around snippets.

Yes I like them as well, it's however something I am certain about if I should add this frame around an FP part of a captured snippet.

Ton

My LabVIEW Ideas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(8,041 Views)
Thank you very much for the new version of this great tool !
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,990 Views)

Wow, that looks really cool. Everyone should try it. 😉

I agree about the frame for the snippets. If I would be using them, the frame provides a much more visible sign than the header glyph.

Incidentally, while my name appears in the first post, the actual work on this version was pretty much all Ton's. My role was mostly in feedback and doing some behind the scenes stuff.

(7,976 Views)

tst wrote:

Wow, that looks really cool. Everyone should try it. 😉

I agree about the frame for the snippets. If I would be using them, the frame provides a much more visible sign than the header glyph.

I filed a feature request.

Ton

My LabVIEW Ideas

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,955 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

[...] In another forum I have given code to Jim (jcarmody) to convert PNG pictures containing snippets on a block diagram into the code itself.

Darin,

I've posted the plugin here.  I took a different path than you did in the code you sent me, but I couldn't have done it without your help.  The plugin acts on one snippet at a time, rather than all snippets in a VI, using the reference to the selected decoration (snippet).

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 9 of 11
(7,946 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

[...] It should be easily converted to a VI for the Tools menu as well (perhaps as part of the CCT itself) [...] 

Here's a VI for the Tools menu.  It will convert whatever snippet is selected.

Message Edited by jcarmody on 12-07-2009 06:06 AM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 10 of 11
(7,868 Views)