LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication with motor control using RS-232

I need to use labview to communication with a stepper motor drive using the serial port RS-232. Could someone please get me started I'm not sure if a should use VISA or instrument I/O. And if I use one of those, how would I set it up?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,385 Views)

Hi,

I think it's better to use the VISA tools to control your stepper motor.

Normally, you have to use the VISA tools like this:

Visa Configure serial port --> VISA Write --> VISA Read --> VISA Close

The VISA configure serial port is used to set the parameters of your device serial port (like the baud speed, parity bit etc...)

Then you have to connect the output of the address form the above block to connect to the same input in the VISA write block...

Connecting each new block with the output address wil insure you that the operations will be done one after one...

And when you have finish to use the communication port, you have to use the VISA close to close the port.

I hope it will help you...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,376 Views)
Hi Phil,

Outside of LabView, how do you communicate with or control the motor drive?  If you are able to use software like HyperTerminal or Procomm, then using the VISA serial communication tools will be the simple way of implementing your solution.

Here are some links which may provide clues on how to proceed.  You can also do a search on VISA Serial communication.

Happy wiring!! 😄

JLV

LINKS:

Link 1: Although this one talks about an error, it does provide instructions on how to setup the VISA session:
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=99660&query.id=0#M99660

Link 2: Here are some examples: (good starting point):

Link 3: more info:

Message 3 of 5
(3,373 Views)

hi all

i also have the same problem as above: stepper motor control by labview 7.1 through rs232 port

i m not from an electrical background so i m not able to grab some of the electrical and electronic concepts involved in this .can any1 gimme a step by step procedure on how to configure the rs232 port? i m also using labview for the 1st time and m not able to build a vi for stepper motor control as i dont know much abt the electrical stuff of it.

can smeone provide me with a vi for the same..i know this sounds very awkard..but i got this thrown at me and have abt a 1.5 mths to learn and complete it. so any help will be a welcome relief.

thank u

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,224 Views)
There are Serial examples in LabVIEW that can be accessed in Help>>Find Examples>> Then on the browse tab select Hardware Input Output >> Serial. There are Basic and more advanced examples. I would also like to know if the previous post helped you at all it contained a good example and alot of good information.

Regards
Krista S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,177 Views)