From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating via Ethernet with Eaton module

Hello all, I am new to the NI forums. I am using Labview with my company to try to read/write data from registers on an Eaton C441 with Ethernet module. The current setup I have is running power to the module itself and the Ethernet module, then running into an Ethernet switch, which I am connecting to my laptop via an Ethernet cable. I have put my laptop and the module on the same subnet, and am able to see the values on the registers via Eaton's proprietary website (putting the IP address into a web browser). So I am confident that my computer is able to communicate with the module.

My problem comes when trying to interface with Labview. I will be the first to admit that while I am slightly familiar with the software, I have never done anything in Labview utilitzing Ethernet. I will attach the simple program I am trying to get to work to this message. Basically, my understanding is that with the attached program, I need to put in the module's IP address, a timeout other than zero, and a remote port. I am unsure of the remote port, so I have been using 1. Also, for the "data in" field, I assumed I should use the PID numbers given by Eaton to read/write to the individual registers. I tried that, but every time it times out and gives me an error that it exceeded the program time. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on what I can do to get this to work? Like I said, I am definitely not a Labview expert so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, or if this program is written to do what I need it to do. Thank you for your help!

Attached you will find my VI, the User manuals for the C441 and the Ethernet module.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,783 Views)

Browsing through your docs, there is a whole layer on top of the network connection, so it will not be as simple as your pogram has it laid out.

The device appears to support EtherNet/IP.  I hate this name because it is confusing, as it is not Ethernet/ the type of connection, but a communication protocol.  I have not found a free publication of the standard (they want way too much money for it).  NI does offer a toolkit (I have neever used it):

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/ni-industrial-communications-for-ethernet-ip.html

It also appears the device support TCP Modbus.  This is another layer, but NI has a free toolkit for it (if you search the forums, there are probably other examples as well):

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,778 Views)

Thanks for your reply, Matthew. I had kind of feared that it wouldn't be a simple solution. My company bought the Ethernet module add on in addition to the core C441 module specifically to communicate via Ethernet, so I do not think they want to go the Modbus route. I'll try to find some examples on here using the toolkit and see what I can come up with. I haven't had much luck yet though, which is why I finally posted something here. Thanks for the help though!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,772 Views)

This is where Ethernet (the physical connection and cable) can be confused with EtherNet/IP the communications protocol.  This is why I hate the naming convention that the EtherNet/IP governig body chose.  TCP Modbus still runs over the Ethernet physical connection.  It is a different communications protocol.  You would still be using the module they purchased.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,770 Views)

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. It looks like the free toolkit is a bit buggy based on user feedback, but I'll give it a try and see if I can find some examples. I had assumed I had that toolkit since I was able to use the TCP read/write/start/stop objects on my block diagram. I'll report back tomorrow, thanks Matthew!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,768 Views)

It's been a few years since I have used it.  I looked back at that project, and I ended up using the modbus library to get the info about the protocol I needed and made my own VIs to talk to the device.  I don't recall if it was due to errors/bugs or just trying to simplify all the overhead.  One of the comments linked to a commercial library (free to evaluate) that you may have better luck with.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,765 Views)

You can also try Google to understand the protocol.  From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modbus

The low level VIs you have in your original posting will work.  You just need to add the overhead of the protocol.  The port number should be 502, BTW.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,763 Views)

Great, I'll try to understand the protocol and edit the VI I already have. Thanks so much Matthew!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,751 Views)

Since the Eaton module supports both protocols...

I would recommend using the ModbusTCP function pallete

1) It's free,

2) It's a bit easier to use than the Ethernet/IP Industrial Tool Kit

If performance and flexibility is not important you can also use the NI Modbus I/O Server.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,740 Views)

I found this example program, would it be applicable to what I'm trying to do? https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Using-TCP-Functions-to-Connect-to-a-HTTP-Server-in-LabVIEW/ta-...

By typing in the IP address in a web browser, I'm able to see Eaton's software and view/change all of the registers. What I want to do is find a way to write those values into an excel spreadsheet. Could I do that with the VI on the attached link?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,720 Views)