LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining Real Time VI and FPGA VI

In my current project I am using a myRIO to do some custom PWM signal output. Currently I have a Real Time Main.vi that has 3 output sinusoidal PWM waves but also contains other features provided by the myRIO like wifi data transfer capability.

I also created a custom FPGA.vi to output 2 high speed PWM signals driven by the onboard 40Mhz clock.

Currently I am having a difficult time trying to combine the two VI's. Is there a way to add that custom FPGA.vi to my RTMain.vi and have them output the combined 5 PWM signals at the same time?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,240 Views)

Think a bit about what you're asking.

RT code is software that is compiled to run on your processor.

FPGA code is compiled down to form a bitfile that creates hardware connections to process your dedicated tasks. 

The two aren't exactly interchangeable.  You'll want to move code from the RT to the FPGA or you'll want to access the FPGA's output in the RT code.  But, you don't want to simply move the VI.

Why do you want to process all 5 on one side?  If you like that reason, why aren't you doing it naturally in that code?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,205 Views)

Use the Open FPGA VI Reference to have the FPGA VI loaded into the FPGA.  You can then access front panel items and DMA FIFOs from the FPGA on the RT via the reference.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,203 Views)

Thank you very much for the condescending response, being a beginner with labview your encouragement really makes me love the functionality of this forum.

How does one access the outputs of the FPGA through the RT code?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,170 Views)

Start with the LabVIEW help and example finder; there are many that demonstrate communication between the RT ("host") and FPGA ("target"), including examples specific to the myRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,163 Views)