LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colormap on wrl (CAD) drawing

Hello,

This is my first post to the NI forum, so please don't hesitate to chastise me if I'm going about this the wrong way.

I am trying to map data to a .wrl file.  Specifically, I have a drawing of an air tank, and I have data that I would like to map to its surface as color.  I haven't seen a direct way to do this in my forum search.  I have created a 3D surface graph of a simple cylinder with strain mapped to it.  However, I would at least like to combine this simple 3D surface graph with the exact drawing (which is a 3D picture control).  I haven't even found a way to combine these two types of 3D objects into a single plot.  There may also be a slicker way to do this, by parametrically coloring coordinates on the loaded wrl object, maybe through textures?  I'm looking for any guidance the Labview gurus can provide.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,518 Views)

If you go to the example finder in LabVIEW there is a good example for adding textures to picture objects. You should be able to use imported wrl objects to do similar tasks. I will continue to research other functionality to get the result you are looking for.

Building User Interfaces > Displaying Data > Pictures > solarsystem

Ian M.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,492 Views)

Thank you for the response.  I have looked at this example, but it's not exactly what I need, unless you can tell me how to transform a 3D surface graph into a texture.  For this particular application, that would probably work, since the cylinder is so easy to parameterize.  However, I would really like a more general solution that would work for very odd shapes.  Any guidance would be helpful

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,482 Views)

Have you looked into skinning the cylinder?

I have used skins on a sphere to show the company logo so I suspect you could simply skin your cylinder with a color coded skin.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,477 Views)

Thanks, Ben.  Could you provide any examples of this?  I haven't heard of skinning.  How is this different from textures?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,473 Views)

Didn't the solar system example use skins for the earth and sun?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,471 Views)