LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close labview function in nugget discussion

Solved!
Go to solution

I have been looking around at some of Darren's nuggets which go way back over the years, and I wanted to ask a question about one.

As the nuggets are so old I thought a new thread would be the best way to do it.

The nugget is the one about adding some close code to ensure that all the VI's shut down correctly.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Darren-s-Weekly-Nugget-06-22-2009/td-p/931158

I get the ideas behind it and as it happens I'm already doing the same thing myself, but without using the "Quit LabView" function.

I ensure that I have closed all my sub VI's before finishing with the "Panel Close" invoke node.

I can see the value in following Panel Close with Quit labview, but the more I thought about it the more uneasy I became.

My concern was that if there were two or more completely separate labview applications running on the same computer at the same time

the Quit Labview function would stop all of them, not just the one which the user wants to stop.

If Close labview does indeed close all running applications, then It is extremely dangerous to use it!

I have no way to test this, so I wondered if anybody has experienced this, or can give an answer.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,957 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pretech

@pretech wrote:

I can see the value in following Panel Close with Quit labview, but the more I thought about it the more uneasy I became.

My concern was that if there were two or more completely separate labview applications running on the same computer at the same time

the Quit Labview function would stop all of them, not just the one which the user wants to stop.

Quit LabVIEW ends the current instance of LabVIEW.

If it is called from a LabVIEW executable only that instance of the execuatable is closed. (Yes you CAN open more than 1 instance of a given exe if you know how)  other instances of the same exe or any other exe will not be effected.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 2
(2,928 Views)