Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Reference

Solved!
Go to solution

@nathand wrote:

@smercurio_fc wrote:

I actually only found 200, but the answer can be found on the first page of results. nrp provided essentially the same answer as nathan in this response: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Do-I-have-to-close-all-my-references/m-p/1218470#M520150

I think he was referring to the poster of the question having posted over 400 messages, suggesting they're not new to this forum.

Yes, well experienced.

Ouadji,

I also understand searching for information can at times be a daunting task.  I have often found that my success at searching the forum is often found in the keywords that I use for the search.  Sometimes I have to think like a newbie and guess at what they might use for a heading for my particular issue.  But Smerc is correct, there have been many posts on this topic (I've searched myself in the past).  You are also correct that there have been many different answers.  But nathand gave a proper response that I have seen many times as well.  When in doubt, close it.

I believe it was Ben who stated once that if you see that the reference number does not change from one open instance to another, it does not need to close.  But I still use the rule of thumb anyway to avoiod any future headache with memory leaks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
Message 11 of 15
(699 Views)

This is an older thread but I just saw it. I just wanted to add something about searching the forums.

First of all this is not a comment on any user. While it is better to do a search first, it doesn't particularly bother me if someone asks a question that has been asked before, which brings me to the point of this reply...

I sometimes have a very difficult time finding answers I need on this forum using the search. Sometimes it takes me right to where I want but other times it is a real headache. The answer is usually there but is sometimes buried in completely unrelated content.

What I found was that using Google is much more accurate. Some of you may already know this but you can limit your Google search to a specific site. Putting something like this

"when should i close references site:forums.ni.com"

in the Google search will limit results to the ni forums. This is not a very good example because for this query the forum search got me to the info I was looking for.

But if you ever do have trouble finding something on the forums just keep Google in mind.

And to keep this on topic, if you have the Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit,  it will tell you about unclosed references.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 12 of 15
(662 Views)

Thanks for the info Steve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(645 Views)

@Steve Chandler wrote:

"when should i close references site:forums.ni.com"

in the Google search will limit results to the ni forums. ...

Good notes are worth repeating. I liked that trick so I Tagged the post by Michael Avaliotis found here so I could find it again.

I'll add the tag "Search_Trick" both here and there to make it easier for all to find.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(630 Views)

Using Google to search via the site: filter has been mentioned a few times in the Feedback on NI Discussion Forums board. Especially in the threads that complain about the search engine. Like this one: http://forums.ni.com/t5/Feedback-on-NI-Discussion-Forums/better-search-engine/td-p/1569110

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(614 Views)