LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close Reference

Solved!
Go to solution

Which References should be closed with LabVIEW 2011 ?

thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,900 Views)

Is auto-dispose references enabled?

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,895 Views)

The ones you open that aren't automatically closed.

Next question!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,890 Views)

Did you search this forum at all before posting?  See, among the many threads on this topic, "Which references need to be closed?"  The thread is a few years old but the information hasn't changed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,884 Views)

With over 400 posts, you can find this information out yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,874 Views)

Nathand

Did you search this forum at all before posting ?

... "Which references need to be closed?"  The thread is a few years old but the information hasn't changed.

This thread talks about that for LV 7.1, nothing about LV 2011
and this thread dates back to 2006 !

I read this article carefully, sorry but It seems that nobody knows the real answer to this question

MoReese

With over 400 posts, you can find this information out yourself

Some say this, others say the opposite, I have not found  real answers and no clear rules.

Everyone has his own idea, but nobody seems to know the truth about it.

(sorry for my bad english, i do my best)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,861 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ouadji

The simplest rule is close all references.  It may not be necessary but it won't hurt.

If you really want to avoid closing references unnecessarily, the ones you do not need to close are the ones that remain the same regardless of how many times you open and close them while the VI is open, such as a reference to a front-panel control.  These are references that you open implicitly, and refer to items within the LabVIEW environment.  Any reference that you open explicitly - such as files and TCP connections - should be closed.  ALL external component references such as ActiveX and .NET need to be closed, whether opened explicitly or returned as outputs from invoke or property nodes.  This is exactly the same information provided in multiple threads on this topic.

Message 7 of 15
(3,858 Views)

Your explanation is clearer than anything I've read on this topic, really.

one rule, clear, concise and accurate ... I understood.

Thank you nathand

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,852 Views)

@ouadji wrote:

Nathand

Did you search this forum at all before posting ?

... "Which references need to be closed?"  The thread is a few years old but the information hasn't changed.

This thread talks about that for LV 7.1, nothing about LV 2011
and this thread dates back to 2006 !

I read this article carefully, sorry but It seems that nobody knows the real answer to this question

MoReese

With over 400 posts, you can find this information out yourself

Some say this, others say the opposite, I have not found  real answers and no clear rules.

Everyone has his own idea, but nobody seems to know the truth about it.

(sorry for my bad english, i do my best)

I actually only found 200, but the answer can be found on the first page of results. nrp provided essentially the same answer as nathan in this response: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Do-I-have-to-close-all-my-references/m-p/1218470#M520150

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,836 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

I actually only found 200, but the answer can be found on the first page of results. nrp provided essentially the same answer as nathan in this response: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Do-I-have-to-close-all-my-references/m-p/1218470#M520150

I think he was referring to the poster of the question having posted over 400 messages, suggesting they're not new to this forum.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,827 Views)