LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client viewing and control of the server vi

I am analysing and logging production data from our plant PLCs to a LabVIEW server computer. The server computer is networked to all other computers through a local network connection, however none of them have LabVIEW installed as we only bought one licence.

I would like to know the best way for another computer to connect to the server computer to view and gain control of the vi’s I have set up. I have tried the web-publishing, but the html document does not provide the visual clarity or interaction the client needs from my vi’s.

I know by default, LabVIEW comes with one client licence and this is all I’ll need at any one time. Do I need the runtime engine to be installed on the computers with no LabVIEW software on them?

Please help, I’m a little unsure what the best solution is.

Many thanks,

Stuart

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,855 Views)
Stuart,

first of all, you will need so called "remote panel licenses" for each connection you want to establish at a time. please refer to this point to the help of LabVIEW:
"Note  The LabVIEW Full Development System and the Application Builder include a remote front panel license that allows one client to view and control a front panel remotely. The LabVIEW Professional Development System includes a remote front panel license that allows five clients to view and control a front panel remotely. You can upgrade the remote panel license to support more clients."
on the other hand, you will need the apropriate LV-RTE version on the PC you want to use for remote access:
"The client and server computers must be running the same version of the remote panel protocol in LabVIEW. If you are using a browser to view and control a remote front panel, you must use a version of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine compatible with the version of LabVIEW on the server computer. Also, be sure and contact the server administrator and have them make sure that the HTML document specifies the correct version of the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine."
at last, you should use the webpublishing tool to create a html-file for you. please note that in order for this to work correctly, you have to configure the Web Server within LV on the server-machine. please refer to the LV-help on that issue.

Norbert B.
NI Germany

Message Edited by Norbert B on 12-12-2005 07:39 AM

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,846 Views)

What do you mean by "the html document does not provide the visual clarity or interaction the client needs from my vi’s"?
The HTML document uses ActiveX and should give you the same appearance as your FP, although It usually works slower and doesn't display local popups. Is this what you meant?

If you want a more generalized solution, you can try looking at VNC, which is a free remote control protocol which will allow you to control your entire computer remotely.

(2,837 Views)