LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing Automatically select recommended installers causes problems between computers

I am building an installer for a project I created in LabVIEW 2013 (version 13.0f2 32-bit). At my desk I build the executable and installer, having checked the option to "Automatically select recommended installers", then copy the files to a standalone computer to finish project. The standalone computer has the hardware connected, and cannot be connected to the internet.

Problem: I cannot build the installer at the standalone computer. It asks for additional installers. See attached pictures. It is curious to me that the software is insisting on being provided media "Experimental Test" (which is the name of the LabVIEW project file). Any ideas how to fix this problem? I can't provide it with media labeled "Experimental Test" because no media with that label exists.

I believe I caused the problem by allowing NI Update Service to run on the computer at my desk. Although both computers have LabVIEW 2013 loaded and are at the 13.0f2 version, my desk computer has additional updates to other NI products, which NI Update Service performed.  Long term, I may have to stop running NI Update Service at my desk computer, since I cannot connect the standalone computer to the internet. And it appears the two computers must have identical updates in order for me to be able to build the installer.

Jim

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,441 Views)

Is the project file listed in the "Always Included" section for the build?  There were changes made to the installer with the f2 patch, I would recommend finding a way to install the patch on the target machine via digital media.  LabVIEW 2013 f2 patch:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2013/4406/en/

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,371 Views)

The project file is not listed in the "Always Included" section for the build. I checked, and we have not done that here for any LabVIEW project.

Concerning the f2 patch, I had manually installed that on the standalone prior to attempting the build.

The list of installers that was requested was longer than I would have expected. Some of the items, like NI-SCOPE Run-Time 4.1.1, were on the standalone computer but were an earlier version (because NI Update Service had updated NI-SCOPE at the desktop computer which is connected to internet). And so I am OK with that being on the list. Other items, like NI IVI Compliance Package 4.6.0, was already on the standalone computer and was at that version. So it makes no sense to me why it is asking for something it already has installed on the standalone.

I finally got this project to build on both computers by taking hours late Thursday and on Friday, collecting DVD of install media, and downloading from NI.com all the pieces listed that were not on August 2013 DVD or older. I had to manually uninstall stuff like NI IVI Compliance Package 4.6.0 and reboot and install again, even though it was already on the standalone computer. Other stuff like NI-SCOPE 4.1.1 I installed update from NI.com. It took hours to get the list under Experminental Test to "go away" - everything I did (install or reinstall something) would make the list under Experimental Test shorter by one or two items. There has got to be an easier fix for this. I don't have the time to do this on every standalone computer if this problem keeps occuring, so I would probably end up turning off NI Update on the computers that are connected to the internet until I can get a fix for this from NI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,286 Views)

Are you able to check the dependencies for this Experimental Test project file in your actual project or exe?  Also, for the NI installers, you can check "Copy all future installers to this computer when you run them" in the Additional Installers section.  This will put them in a permanent location.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,227 Views)