LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check if File or Folder Exists takes too long on network folder

I just tested this, and unfortunately it behaves with the same problem.

It took 45 seconds before it replied with "The specified network name is no longer available".

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,633 Views)

@egraham wrote:

I'm going to assume that Rolf is on to something and provided a good description of what is occurring.

I tried TCP Open Connection, but it always output an error, even when the remote computer was available. I tried what I believe are common ports, but I'm not sure I ever had the right one.

I ended up just pinging the remote computer to see if I got a response. The path I was trying to get to was 10.50.3.50/Export CSV, so I just pinged the static IP, 10.50.3.50.

There's a ping example here that uses the System Exec VI to see if the remote computer will respond. It seems to be working with good results and if the computer is disonnected it let's me know very quickly and I can free up the structure to perform other tasks.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15341

Again, thanks for all your help.

Eric

Ping may nowadays be disabled on many computers because it can be used for DOS attacks. What TCP/IP port did you try to connect to? The standard Windows NetBIOS ports used are 137, 138, and 139, so if you can connect to one of them you know the computer should be at least there, although it may still deny your process access to query information, depending on the user access configuration on that computer.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,613 Views)

I just found the way to handle my problem; converting from a folder on the net into a IP adress.

I used the command nslookup on the drive letter, and that nicely gives me the IP adress.

Problem solved. Now I can use the ping to check if the IP adress is connected.

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,595 Views)