LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing execution times from recompile in 8.20

Well, we are starting to have some serious problems with LV8.20 and its now compile times. I have read there is compression now in saving VIs which reduced the size of saved files on disk. The problem is that LV8.20 takes MUCH LONGER to recompile a VI after any change than it ever did. We have some seriously large applications and VIs in the neighborhood of 5MB code size that always worked find pre-LabVIEW 8. You could never notice the compile time in LV7.1. Now, you move a wire or add a primitive and the compile time on a 3GHz machine takes 2-3 seconds. It is improssible to code with this delay, any way to turn that "feature" off.

What's worse, is that the execution times of VIs now changes after a recompile. We are seeing this in many of our applications when performance testing and targetting more deterministic code in RT. You recompile the VI and a component that you DID NOT EVEN CHANGE has a very drastic change in performance. I suspect its due to the VI compression/decompression, but that is a guess since it is new and this is the first time we have seen this happening to this extent in LV. Most of our developers have noticed this since switching to LV8.20 and causing us a lot of headaches.

Any workarounds or suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,884 Views)
Hi Mike,

It looks like you are working on this issue with Avinash via phone/email, but for others who may be interested, there are two bugs filed that are somewhat related, one is regarding different execution times depending on the order of unbundling, the other is in regards to slowdowns in the development environment with large projects, where a project with a huge number of VIs takes longer to do things like open the VI Hierarchy, but it does not specifically mention things like moving wires taking a significantly longer period of time.  It may be helpful to send a project that can reproduce this also, which you may want to do via email/ftp site.
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,830 Views)
OK, will do directly with support. Was hoping others had noticed this problem and difference between LV7 and LV8.2. Even as a long time LabVIEW developer, its surprising to me the little things that make a difference from day to day still that I've never come across before. Anyway, thanks for the additional comments.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,824 Views)

Hi Mike,

you're not the only one who noticed these problems 😉

I also found a serious slow down of the edit speed after moving a large project to LV 8. And the save time has increased by 2-3, too.

So I am also very interested in seeing these problems resolved.

Message 4 of 5
(2,817 Views)
Excellent IngoB. Thanks for the post, I'll be trying to get some examples to NI but this is very obvious with any code so I'm a little frustrated with the fact they always demand examples and code with such service requests. Every single person in my development teams have noticed and complained about it. We've already purchased a number of new computers for developers just to help relieve the pain of saving and recompiles that are in the order of 2-5 seconds per change. Totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned...

Then there is the execution times... That is an even bigger concern at the moment (I have it is something stupid we havn't found yet) because we can't deliver the performance we are targetting while having that problewm.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,810 Views)