LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a software into a Labview Programme

Hi all,

I am new to LabView and would like some help in changing a software into a Labview Programme. 

The PC software is a platform that enables a PC to control a R/C transmitter. It is written in C# therefore I need to change it into LabView for my project.

For more information about the software you can download it from the following link: (http://www.min.at/prinz/?x=entry:entry130721-182227

It is under the PC control software section.

Thanks for all the help!!! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,660 Views)

You can't just change software into a LabVIEW program.  Why do you want to do this?

What you can do is figure out how the existing program works and rewrite it in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,623 Views)

Hi there

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently doing my final year project and is task to change this software into a LabView programme by my supervisor. 

I have tried to figure out how the exsiting software works and rewrite it in LabView. But currently stuck with it.

Apparently now I have 7 channels in my Spektrum receiver, how am i about to allow LabView to read (Detect) each channel respectively? 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,556 Views)

Ignoring the fact that this seems a silly thing to do (why waste working software?) here is some practical advice:

• Assuming you don't have the original source code, decompile the C# assembly to a Visual Studio project (try JustDecompile) to find the source. This assumes the executable is not obfuscated and that you are legally permitted to do so (this may be considered infringement in some scenarios). 
  • Replicate the code, from scratch, in LabVIEW using the C# source as a reference.

But again, this seems like more of an exercise in learning.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,529 Views)

Hey man

I tried to decode the C# programme into LabView.

But I am kind of stuck with the connection of channels and Firmata. 

In need of an advice... as I am not familar with C#

Thanks 

P.S I would like to attach the code in but I can't. You will be able to find the code at the following link:

FirmataRC:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad466ynnfbi4wix/FirmataRC.cs

Form 1:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0cnrbs9ryzmyq3/Form1.cs

Form 1 Designer:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbl9vvtjlo5qyq3/Form1.Designer.cs

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,482 Views)

Welcome to my world.

I have been working on a project (not a school project, a work project) for a while now to emulate a set of C/LabWindows programs to LabVIEW.

"Why?" RavensFan asks. Because the software on the instruments we build needs rapid updating as the instruments are updated, doing this in C is always a major task (it is thought that using LabVIEW should [eventually] be quicker and less prone to error), and we are a small company which cannot afford the luxury of a staff of C and/or LabWindows programmers.

But what RavensFan says is true. You have to figure out exactly what the C# program does and how to do the same thing in LabVIEW. You cannot do a transliteration by any means, it will come out like some of those old Japanese instrument manuals transliterated into English, and have just about as much use (i.e., none). But you have at least one thing in your favor, quite a bit of the C# code functionality can be replaced with very simple LabVIEW code.

As to understanding the C# code, well, you just might have to grab one of your buddies and bribe him with pizza (the Universal Currency for students) to walk through it with you until you can understand the flow of the program. This may take more than one pizza and/or night.

One thing, remember to make your LabVIEW code modular (i.e., using subVIs for common tasks) so you can (1) fix one bug and have it corrected in many places at once, and (2) build VIs which don't take up acres of screen real estate - there is little that is so frustrating (to me, anyway) as having to skip back and forth over a 9000x2600 pixel screen to troubleshoot code.

Best of luck,

Cameron

To err is human, but to really foul it up requires a computer.
The optimist believes we are in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true.
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.
An expert is someone who has made all the possible mistakes.

To learn something about LabVIEW at no extra cost, work the online LabVIEW tutorial(s):

LabVIEW Unit 1 - Getting Started</ a>
Learn to Use LabVIEW with MyDAQ</ a>
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,448 Views)

You don't know C#, you're new to LabVIEW, and your supervisor has set you the task of rewriting a piece of software in LV given the C# code?

Question: How out of touch is your supervisor?

If you want to learn anything at all from this (isn't that the point?) then you need to ensure your professor is aware that you have no experience in either language. They will either set you a more suitable task or ensure you have the time to learn the languages before moving on to attempt this one.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,432 Views)