From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing FPGA target types after Obselescence

Hi. Can anyone advise of a clean way to migrate or copy / paste my CLIP modules between FPGA targets, please? I've about 30 test rigs, each testig a different product. Each contains a PXI-7833R card. We had one fall over recently and I learned that the card is now obsolete. The PXI-7842R is touted as a drop-in replacement. I'm finding the software support for migrating in the project to the new FPGA somewhat cumbersome. I had hoped I could simply change the device type in FPGA target properties, but it appears that I can't change the FPGA target type; apparently the target device can only be set when the target is first created in the project. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, since the contents of the old (7833) target can be copied and pasted into the new (7842) target within the project. However, my FPGAs are now using VHDL components and the CLIP properties cannot be copied / pasted: they need to be added and configured manually, which is quite labourious. Each of my pijects might have 10 CLIP modules to manually configure and I'm dreading it, but in order to minimise test rig downtime in the event of a failure, I wish to build each of these projects for the new PXI-7842R target hardware in advance of requiring it. Anything the community can suggest would be a help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,835 Views)

It probably would have been a good idea to hit "Preview" before posting. This is a re-post, but much more pleasing to the eyes!!

Can anyone advise of a clean way to migrate or copy / paste my CLIP modules between FPGA targets, please?

I've about 30 test rigs, each testing a different product. Each contains a PXI-7833R card. We had one fall over recently and I learned that the card is now obsolete. The PXI-7842R is touted as a drop-in replacement. I'm finding the software support for migrating in the project to the new FPGA somewhat cumbersome.

I had hoped I could simply change the device type in FPGA target properties, but it appears that I can't change the FPGA target type; apparently the target device can only be set when the target is first created in the project. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, since the contents of the old (7833) target can be copied and pasted into the new (7842) target within the project. However, my FPGAs are now using VHDL components and the CLIP properties cannot be copied / pasted: they need to be added and configured manually, which is quite labourious.

Each of my projects might have 10 CLIP modules to manually configure and I'm dreading it, but in order to minimise test rig downtime in the event of a failure, I wish to build each of these projects for the new PXI-7842R target hardware in advance of requiring it.

Anything the community can suggest would be a help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,827 Views)

Hi kdmcmullan,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments. As you have experienced, there is no way to automatically switch files to a new FPGA target.  I appreciate this may be time consuming with the number or rigs you are using, however, adding the new PXI-7842R target to your project, copying over the required files and manually configuring CLIP as you have been is the best way to switch to your new 7842R cards. If you have any further questions about these steps I will be happy to help.

Kind regards,

James

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,777 Views)