LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change the default "Build" folder in LabVIEW

Hi -

Is there anyway to change the default build folder in LabVIEW?  Currently, when I create a new build it defaults the target folder to "..\builds" relative to my current project folder.  I would prefer if it would default to "C:\Users\Nic\LabVIEW Builds\".

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,962 Views)

Hello Nickerbocker,

Beginning in LabVIEW 2011, the default build directory is absolute (e.g. I just checked in 2012 it was C:\Users\<name>\builds\<project name>\My Application); however, as you have indicated, in previous versions of LabVIEW the directory was relative. There have been many discussions as to the advantages and disadvantages of using relative vs absolute paths, and subsequently starting from 2011 the default save directory has been implemented with absolute paths. Unfortunately, there is no method for toggling between relative and absolute paths when creating a new build. 

Doug W

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,936 Views)

Hi Doug-W -Thank you for your reply.

It would be my preference to make that an option for the end user.  In fact, there are a LOT of settings in the various build dialogs that would greatly bennefit from having a "default" toggle.  Even a "Set Default" on the form would suffice.

I'm using LabVIEW 2012 and I can assure you that the path is still relative to '../build'.

See.  The default destination path is "../builds" in LabVIEW 2012 not C:\Users\<Name>\builds

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,927 Views)

Hi Nickerbocker,

I apologize I misread your initial post, I was thinking about another unreleated issue in pre-2011 editions with nested structures in absolute build paths. You are correct that the directory is relative to your current project in the \builds folder. Unfortunately though there is no way to set an absolute directory for your build folder. However, you may request this option to be added as a feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange forum http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas.

Regards

Doug W

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,918 Views)