LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carpel Tunnel Surgery Results?

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here has had the median nerve release surgery for carpel tunnel?  I want to hear about the outcomes from any surgery, carpel tunnel related.  I program in labview a ton, as well as being an avid guitar player, tennis player, video gamer, etc.  Basically, anything that can cause carpel tunnel, I do.  And as such, am getting effects of carpel tunnel (already) at age 25.

How does the CT related nerve release surgery, or others, affect your manual dexterity? 

I've heard that after the surgery there should be no effects of CT since the median nerve no longer has the tendon to rub against, and hence become irritated, though I don't know what to believe. 

Also, Has anyone used this powerball thingy? How well does it work? (Link below)
http://www.pushback.biz/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=140&ad=GoogleReach

Also, for those who don't know what the surgery is I'm refering to I've including a link (VERY BOTTOM) with an illustration depicting it.  They can do it either through cutting you open, or through an endoscopic probe (which is better).

Thanks,

Jonathan

PS- I am already weeping as I know that I'm going to have to give up video games.... sob sob.  But there's no way in hell I'm going to stop playing guitar, so I gotta fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,677 Views)

IEC:

Here is a link to some discussion on carpal.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=102535&requireLogin=False

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,668 Views)
Yeah I've read those... and even have a post myself in there.  Though, the surgery was never covered.
Thanks, anyways
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,651 Views)

Here is another link to some options that help with CT

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&message.id=1263&jump=true

I have not tried the "foot mouse" but it looks like what I will have to go to if I can no longer manage the pain.

My mother went through CT surgery in both hands and she is pain free at the moment.

I have also heard durring a presentation on the surgery that it is temporary and may have to be repeated.

By using a "Kensington Expert Mosue" (industrial track ball) proped-up at the correct angle AND wrist braces I have been healing after a day on-site with very bad ergonomics.

Trying to help,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,651 Views)

One more thing....

Wearing the wrist braces 24 X 7 can make a big diffences if you are in pain now!

Even driving was painful.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,649 Views)