From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot play WAV file in Labview 2013

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi LabView gurus

I am a novice with some minimal experience with Labview.

Quick Summary

As part of my experiment, I am trying to use Labview in exercise measurement device. I didnt haveany trouble with acquisition and display of  signal via NI USB 6008. However I have a requirement to play a WAV file (generated by MATLAB) to pace the people to a rythm and the playing fails with Error 4810 saying the format is unidentified. The WAV file (attached here- metronome.TXT - but extension .WAV changed to .TXT enable upload) plays in all other players. The previous posts have not addressed this issue sufficiently.

More details:

An exercise device measures the displacement reading from sensor in Volt and converts to distance by a calibration formula (simple y=mx+c). In the course of the 3 minutes the person exercises - That part in the attachedVI works beautifully. However a rythmic tick-tock sound has to play to pace him uniformaly. I created the WAV file from MATLAB sound functions and playing at 8KhZ (attached). But it didnt run no matter how many different ways I tried. Suggestions needed! 

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise, 2GB RAM, LABVIEW 2013

Any help/suggestion/improvement is appreciated. 

-SM

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,256 Views)

(Please next time attach a simplified example that only contains the code for playing of the soundfile.)

Here the sound file plays just fine. (LabVIEW 2014, WIndows 7)

Your code is a bit weird. What is the loop rate? (Sorry, I don't have DAQ here, so I cannot look at your express VIs. Your sound file is quite long so it is not quite clear to me why you are trying to play it in a loop. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,231 Views)

The acquisiiton goes on until I hit the stop-push-button. The DAQ acquisition is configured at 10Khz in continous acquire mode.

I tried placing the sound file outside the loop - just to see if the file plays. I suspected if inside the loop the VI plays the first sample and waits for the next one - and that is long. It still pops the same error. I have the required codecs as mentioned in a old post. 

Can you share the VI which played the sound. Maybe there is something wrong in the way i set it up?

-SM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,221 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author somishra

Thanks,Ilooked up some more information and was able to play the file.

Specifically, this Youtube video is great walk through -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSVf9lZ44k

Also I am posting the VI which can play a WAV file when its path is given (attached)

Message 4 of 8
(5,206 Views)

Well, you get a sound format error and I don't. Does the file actually play in media player on your computer/

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,202 Views)

Yes, the file played on the computer - that was not an issue. Maybe the problem was how Labview reads in the file.

In this new VI I used "Sound file Read", 'Index Array" and "Play waveform"

Essentially - having the wav file converted to a waveform and then play the waveform (instead of the more direct approach of reading/playing via the Windows codecs)

-SM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,199 Views)

Both methods work on my computer just fine (that's actually what I tried first before my first reply). I doubt that the two tools use different code internally, so your observation surprises me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,193 Views)

Just wanted to share my thanks for sharing your solution to a confounding and odd problem.  Reading file in to array and playing waveform solved my problem too.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,982 Views)