LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete empty columns from controls palette

Solved!
Go to solution

Definitely a low priority, actually just an annoyance.

I was using the palette editor (menu below shortened manually) today for the purpose of copying existing palette icons by saving them as glyphs. When exiting the palette I did not save, but hadn't actually made any changes.

Palette Edit Menu.png

The palette editor doesn't show any extra columns.

Controls Palette-Edit.png

However, there are several extra columns when using LabVIEW normally.

Controls Palette-App.png

This issue is with LV Version 10.0.1

Thanks for any suggestions.

James

Tech Advisor - Automation
LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,656 Views)

Hello James,

I haven't been able to reproduce this behavior after attempting several dozen open/close/save/edit/copy glyph/reconfiguration methods with the palette editor in LV 2010 SP1. Have you attempted moving the right-hand icons to the left-hand side to see if this creates unexpected blanks in the center of the palette? Do you see this in other palette display modes (you can set these via Tools-->Options-->Controls/Functions Palettes) such as Icons and Text or Category, or is it just the Icons display? 

Would it be possible for you to provide a VI (and the custom palette file) that is displaying in this manner so that I can look into what might be making it happen? 

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,626 Views)

Tom,

The problem is only with Icons view. 

If I switch to Icons & Text the extra columns are gone.

This is not related to any VI, it is with any time I right click on the Front Panel to open the "Controls palette".

I could not attached the controls palette file (root.mnu) and received this error message:

This file type might have been overlooked when the rules were setup.

I changed the extension from .mnu to .txt to get around the error, but then received:

Rather than randomly try other extensions, maybe you can suggest the correct way to share this file?

Thanks for the assistance.

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,615 Views)

James,

I believe you should be able to include it in a compressed folder (.zip) or as part of a project file (.lvproj), but let me know if neither of those methods work.

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,599 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author James@Work

James,

The Controls palette is actually sizing itself to fit the names of each subpalette.  In the cases of most of the subpalettes, the names are pretty short ("Modern", "Silver", "Classic", etc), but I noticed that you have the "UI Control Suite" palette.  This palette happens to have the overly verbose display name of "UI Control Suite: NI Themed Custom Control Suite", and the palette is sizing to fit this whole text.

controls palette.png

One thing you can do to fix this is to edit that subpalette to have a shorter name, which shouldn't have any effects on functionality.  By the way, the community page for the NI Themed Custom Control Suite is here.

Chris M

Message 5 of 6
(2,591 Views)

Thanks Chris,

After renaming:

The Metallic, NI Theme and Control Suite 2.0 palettes the problem with extra empty columns was significantly reduced.

I could have un-installed them as they are never used, but wanted to verify the fix.

I am glad to know it wasn't something I had done that caused this undesirable appearance.

Very nice catch!!

I'd never realized the palette width was controlled by the longest subpalette description.

This is important to know for anyone who develops add-on tools.

Thanks for the help,

James

LabVIEW 5.0 - 2020
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,589 Views)