LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot bring the tools palette into view on a remote computer

Solved!
Go to solution

Yes... I have read the following knowledge base:  http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/84FCD62020BF074186256569008375E2

I cannot see the tools palette because the development system is shared between two people.  The other person is located in another country / different timezone.  We both develop the code on the station where the UUT is located, which is remote to both of us. 

The other developer must have a giant monitor with resolutions greater than what I can achieve with the one I am using.  Furthermore, I cannot change the resolution of a screen in a remote session (even using multiple remote session managers).  There is simply no way to get the tools palette back.  (yeah... this is not the first time it happens.. 😞  )

I managed to get someone to change the screen resolutions on the remote machine and he could not bring back the tools palette by following the steps from the knowledge base.

On one development PC, there is an entry within the LabVIEW.ini file, as follows:

toolPaletteLoc=400,1499,551,1577

Unfortunately, there is no such entry in the remote development PC.  Adding it did not help.

Is there some other super secret location where I can bring back the tools palette into view?   The "Show tools palette" selection should be smart enough to figure out the resolution of the screen and bring it into view.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
(7,191 Views)

I am honored to respond to a Knights question 🙂

Are you not able to see the complete screen of the Remote PC?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 2 of 14
(7,184 Views)

I'm more curious about what the 4 numbers are for the ini token.  I can understand an X and Y, but what are the other two?

What screen resolution are you using?  Just for fun, try changing the first two numbers in teh location ini token to 0.  That moved my to the top left corner of my screen.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,179 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ray.R

@crossrulz wrote:

I'm more curious about what the 4 numbers are for the ini token.  I can understand an X and Y, but what are the other two?

The tool palette is a floating window. It's quite common to specify window locations as left,right,top,bottom, because they can be resized.

Ray, you should make sure you restart LV, obviously, to see if the INI line has any effect.

You could also try changing the resolution to something low. This will usually cause Windows to reset the window positions so that they're visible, but I don't know if that applies to floating windows.

You can also use the Windows key with the arrows to move the current window around and to maximize/restore/minimize it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't work on floating windows either, as they don't seem retain focus.

@tst wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

The tool palette is a floating window. It's quite common to specify window locations as left,right,top,bottom, because they can be resized.

That makes sense, even though it doesn't seem as though I can resize the Tools Palette.  It it looks like LabVIEW ignores the last two items of the four, at least that what my playing around shows.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,155 Views)

Shift + Right click anywhere on any LabVIEW panel and a second tools pallette will come to find youSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 14
(7,144 Views)

Thanks tst,

restarting LabVIEW with the new line in the ini file worked.  🙂

It took a while to finish implementing all the code so that I could commit it back to SVN..  I couldn't restart it right away...  too many VIs open, being modified.

Changing the resolution to 800x600 (lowest) didn't help. 

P@Anand wrote:

I am honored to respond to a Knights question 🙂

Are you not able to see the complete screen of the Remote PC?

Yes, I see the complete screen from the remote screen.  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(7,135 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Shift + Right click anywhere on any LabVIEW panel and a second tools pallette will come to find youSmiley Wink

Thanks.  I didn't realize you could get the palette that way, too. 

That's the beauty of this forum, you always learn something new.

🙂

I also posted a new idea here.   It was written before I saw the answers in this thread. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(7,119 Views)

@Ray.R wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Thanks.  I didn't realize you could get the palette that way, too. 

That's the beauty of this forum, you always learn something new.

Now that really surprises me Smiley Surprised. That is the way I always use to play with the Tools palette (But didn't dare to tell the Knight thinking thats silly 🙂 )

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,109 Views)

P@Anand wrote:

@Ray.R wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Thanks.  I didn't realize you could get the palette that way, too. 

That's the beauty of this forum, you always learn something new.

Now that really surprises me Smiley Surprised. That is the way I always use to play with the Tools palette (But didn't dare to tell the Knight thinking thats silly 🙂 )

Just because somebody is a knight does not mean they know everything.  We are all still learning.  And there are a few simple tricks that can be learned by everybody.  Never be afraid to state the obvious.  And if not Ray, somebody else may come along later and see your "obvious" trick and learn something.

GCentral
Message 10 of 14
(7,097 Views)