LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you create multiple counter outputs?

Hello,

I am working with a NI USB-6210 and I am having trouble with the infamous 50103 "specified resource is reserved." What I need to do is create two independent STL pulse trains on two counter output channels. I cannot figure out how to use a single task to complete this task, and obviously running multiple tasks creates the resource error. I need to be able to separately modulate the frequency of the two outputs, and therefore directly reserving/unresering the task (with the control task vi) is infeasible.

What will happen is that this vi will be triggered by an event, say a button click for the purposes of simplification. At this event, two separate, high frequency STL pulses need to be created. In the past we only needed a single STL pulse- I am trying to add the second. There is no particular need for synchronization, other than the requirement that both pulses begin at the same time.

I don't think including the vi is useful here since I mostly don't understand how to get the basic setup, but I can if that helps.

On a perhaps unrelated note, is there some kind of connection between the counter output channels? Whenever I send a pulse to one counter output channel, the other counter output channel switches to logic high (i.e. 5v) from logic low (i.e. 0v) and I can't figure out why. This may be a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find any explanation in the "counter output" information provided by NI.

Thanks in advance- any suggestions would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,537 Views)

Hello,

Could you please describe what you mean when you refer to a STL pulse train? I am not familiar with that terminology.

Regarding your USB-6210, a finite pulse train would require both of your device’s counters. However, it appears that two continuous pulse train generation tasks could run simultaneously, as that particular output task only requires one counter.

Could you please post a snippet of your counter task code so we can see how you hope to implement the described functionality?

Cameron
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,478 Views)