LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use RS422 serial port communication in LabView.???

Solved!
Go to solution

Thank you so much Now its working but 

if I enter "123" in write buffer why it is executed continously like 123 123123 123.......... and even if i click on stop button it won't stop

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 42
(2,451 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arun2929

Hi arun,

if I enter "123" in write buffer why it is executed continously like 123 123123 123

Because you send the "write buffer" in each iteration!?

and even if i click on stop button it won't stop

Read the manual of your device. It should contain all details of the communication protocol!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 42
(2,447 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arun2929

Yeah.  Back in message 6 I told him there was no com port saved as default in the VISA control.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 42
(2,438 Views)

May be at that time i am unable to get what you told me ,

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 42
(2,434 Views)

It's important that if you don't understand something, reply back asking what we mean.

I'm glad you've got it working for you now.

Message 25 of 42
(2,427 Views)

@arun2929 wrote:

Hi Gredw

I know I am annoying you , But i  am aBeginner ... I get same error even i create any VI on serial port please check the following attachment , i find that example in our forum even i execute that example i get the same problem 

can you please edit that VI or suggest me any of your example for communicating over serial port 

Thank you

Hello arun2929,

Don't fret over annoying people with your questions.  It's very difficult, almost impossible, to become Knight of NI without being annoyed at beginners.  I try to help out on forums where I can and of course, I am nowhere near the knowledge level of these guys.  But even for me, I find myself getting annoyed at some of the questions being asked, even though I was in your beginner's shoes not too many years ago.  My advice?

• Be thorough in explaining your question.  I have literally seen questions that say "My VI that is supposed to do this and that, doesn't work.  Can anybody tell me what is wrong?"  No pictures, no code, nothing. 
  • Provide code.  Not a picture of your code, unless it is a snippet.  If you don't know what a snippet is, look it up.  They are great for showing code on the forum, as well as sharing code to those who wish to run it from their computer.
  • Read all of the responses in the post.  No one likes to help someone who isn't going to read the advice they are given.
  • Give kudoes and mark a solution.  Solutions make it easy for people with the same problem to easily find the solution that helped you.  Kudoes are a way to give credit to those who help you and whose advice you found useful, event though it may not be the solution.  As a contributor to the forum, I enjoy trying to get my name on the Top Kudoed Authors page and I can only imagine that others enjoy it too. 
aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 26 of 42
(2,401 Views)

Thank you @aputman 

I have few more doubts which is continuation  to this Topic, can i ask here or else craete a separate discussion .??

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 42
(2,394 Views)

Hi arun,

I have few more doubts which is continuation  to this Topic, can i ask here or else craete a separate discussion .??

When it is related to the topic "serial communication with LabVIEW" you can stay in this thread.

When it is a different problem: create a new thread.

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 42
(2,387 Views)

I have 2 doubts

1) please check the following attachment while executing that VI we have an error regarding session time mentioned in the screen shot 

2) can we send text files over serial port ?? if yes how ..?

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 42
(2,384 Views)

Hi arun,

1. The device didn't answer to your request before the timeout…

In your VI you disabled the TermChar and try to read 31 bytes from your device.

Do you expect exactly 31 bytes (or more) as answer?

Does your device use a TermChar? If yes: why did you disable the TermChar?

2. You can send any string you like using the serial port. Infact the VISAWrite function uses a string as input!

Keep in mind: serial communication was never ment to transfer "files"! It was use to transfer commands and data clearly - both limited to reasonable length/datasize! So you might transfer your "text file" part by part…

(What kind of device are you using so you even want to transfer "text files"?)

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 42
(2,380 Views)