LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can version 8.20 be used as a direct replacment for version 6.0.2

Hi,

My company manufactures a digital heating block which has in the past used LabView Run-Time version 6.0.2 to track the block temperature readings over time.  The digital heating block interfaces with the computer via an RS232 port.

Can the new version 8.20 be used as a direct replacment for the 6.0.2 software?  Does the software need to be customized for this application?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,787 Views)

In most cases if you have the source code an upgrade is very easy.  It sounds like you have an easy application but you should consult your local field rep to make sure.

Good Luck!

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,776 Views)
Typically, the only problem mot people have with upgrading is with the changes in hardware drivers and most often with data acquisition type stuff. It doesn't sound like you are doing any of that but with LabVIEW 6.0.2, you had the option of using either VISA or the now obsolete serial driver. If you are using the old driver, LabVIEW will convert them for you but it might be something to watch out for.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,772 Views)

The most likely source of trouble would be the serial connection. In the past, LV used serial functions which had a blue wire identifying the port as an input. At some point, it started using VISA functions instead and, while I assume the legacy VIs are still there in 8.2 (they now have VISA code under the hood), they might not be or they might be removed at some future date and they probably don't help the performance. Depending on the way the app is built, it might be complicated to do some proper replacing.

Anyway, if your code used VISA back then, then you shouldn't have a problem.

(2,769 Views)

Thanks for the quick replies.

As far as the source code goes, I'm not sure if we have a copy of it available.  I inherited this issue from the previous product manager and I'm trying to get this all figured out.  I'm not too familiar with the programming aspect of the software. 

So is the copy of Labview we were using customized for our instrument, or is it an application which is compatible with any instrument which outputs a stream of data?

Again thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,759 Views)
If you don't have the source code, then the entire previous discussion can be disregarded. There is no point in upgrading to 8.2 without the source code for your existing application though I can't imagine someone going to a contractor for a program and not demanding that the source code be provided. Looking at your original post, if all you have is the run-time engine, you don't even have a license for 6.0.2 and can't do development in that. Your existing program is probably pretty specific to the one setup you have.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,750 Views)

No source code = Start over again

Without the source code you will have to start all over again.  Look for files with a *.vi extension because there are the source files. 

LabVIEW is a general application for software development so LabVIEW is not customized but the source code makes it the custom application that communicates with the instruments.

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,748 Views)