LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Ring Properties/Edit Items/Labels be populated by array values?

Can the Ring Properties/Edit Items/Labels be populated by array values?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an existing LabView 7.0 application at our office (this is only the beginning of my nightmare) and I'm finding that there is an array being created out of discrete Elements, which is then being indexed using the Indexed Array function, using a Ring control as the Index input. 
What I'm seeing is that whoever created this "Appication" seems to require that any new 'elements' that need to be added to the array need to added in AT LEAST two locations (add the element to the array and add a label on the Edit Items tab of the Ring control used to index the array) and there may be more locations I haven't found that also needs the same information.  Since I can't see any way for the array and the ring control to 'compare' the text strings, I'm assuming the array is being indexed using the 'values' from the Edit Items tab.  Ths would allow different text in the Ring dropdown than is actually contained in the text of the array.

This is contrary to most of the coding practices I've learned, so I'm wondering if I could use the text strings contained in the array itself to populate Item list in the Ring control?

Later I can create an 'entry form' that would allow new parts to be added by staff that doesn't require knowledge of LabView programming. (The "Users" should NEVER have to see the underlying block diagrams/code to add or edit parts ot test parameter values.)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,423 Views)

In 8.2 you can do this with a property node and the "Strings [ ] Property".  It accepts an array of strings.  Order of strings in array sets the order in the control.  Should work in 7.0 as well.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,407 Views)

That looks like the answer I was trying to find.

Thanx.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,402 Views)