LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make IP connection to cRIO anymore

Solved!
Go to solution

Short version: The Ethernet connection to my cRIO but suddenly became unstable, and I can't connect to it at all now.

I'm working on cRIO code for a client and trying to work remotely. We had problems getting the deployed code to run (see http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Real-Time-Application-doesn-t-run-source-code-works-fine/m-p/3106679 for more info on that) but this appears to be a brand new problem so I figured I'd start a new thread to avoid confusion.

It was impossible to troubleshoot from a distance so I convinced the client to ship the cRIO to me. The packaging was undamaged, the unit was well packed, so I am skeptical that it was damaged in transit, but something is happening.

I started working with it using a direct cable connection between my laptop and the cRIO. Everything was fine for about an hour; then things started to happen. The debug console (from the project window > Operate > Debug Application or Shared Library...") was unable to find a debuggable executable even though it had worked a few minutes before. I restarted the RIO through the project window (right click on target > Utilities > Restart) and after a bit got a message that "an error occurred while trying to reboot the cRIO target". Power cycled. Tried deploying the RT again but it failed because the cRIO wasn't responding.

I tried all kinds of stuff over the next couple of hours. MAX sometimes sees it and sometimes doesn't. Even when MAX sees it, it tells me there are no network adapters. Network properties and "ipconfig" sometimes show the port is connected and sometimes not. Ping gets a response packet about 25% of the time but the other 75% say "destination unreachable".

I've tried 4 different cables, both crossover and patch. I connected the laptop to another computer and pinged 100 packets without a problem so it's not my port. I verified my IP address and subnet. I disabled the firewall. Power cycled many times. Booted the RIO into Safe Mode. Used the "IP Reset" switch but MAX can't connect long enough for me to give it an IP address on my subnet. Changed my IP port to a static address on the 169.254.184.X subnet (which is the default subnet that IP Reset puts it on) but I have the same erratic connection. Forced half-duplex per http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/FD24D98FF428F21686256B64007FB6C1). Reset the MAX database per http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9?OpenDocument.

Nothing works. If anything it's getting worse. My guess is the cRIO has a hardware fault in the IP port. The other port is disabled and I can't connect long enough to enable it.

I should also note that I worked directly with this cRIO using this very computer for a week in February so all my drivers, etc. should be fine.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,149 Views)

When you connect the cRIO to your computer, have you tried disabling all other network connections?

If you can get it to connect long enough to reformat the cRIO, that's a good starting point. Do you have a startup executable on your cRIO? When you boot into safe mode, does it connect reliably through MAX? If so, I'd say your executable is doing something that's monopolizing the processor, causing intermittent network issues (the network connection is the lowest priority on the cRIO).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,140 Views)

I just tried disabling other network connections and I still have the same problem. I do have a startup executable but I have previously booted both into No App and Safe Mode and neither helped the connection problem. I can't connect long enough to even change the IP address of the network so I don't know that I'd be able to get it to reformat. I should also add that FTP has the same problem -- sometimes it connects and sometimes it doesn't.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,126 Views)

Have you tried a different power supply? I've seen odd issues with other electronics once a power supply starts to go.

Also try removing all of the modules to see if that makes a difference.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,118 Views)

I don't have access to another power supply, though I did just check all the connections and they are fine. I tried removing modules (there's just a CAN module at the moment) and that didn't make a difference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,108 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andy_Humphrey

Are there any odd looking messages being sent over the serial port with the console out DIP switch set?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 6 of 7
(5,076 Views)

I hooked up the console and discovered the problem -- the cRIO was in a constant reboot cycle. I went in with the No App switch -- which I *know* I tried before -- and it booted up fine with a stable IP connection. I deployed a much simpler test project, turned off the No App switch, and it works as expected. So that solves this problem (thanks Michael!) and now I get to deal with the stuff I was originally trying to figure out.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,025 Views)