LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't import CAD model into Robotics Simulation Model Builder (LV2012)

Ok, this is starting to get rather aggravating. I can't successfully import even the most basic CAD model I create (from Solidworks) into the Robotics Simulation Model Builder. I've tried several, ranging from a complex assembly to the most basic cylinder. I've tried .stl and .wrl files, and I always get the same result. It's an error saying that 'the converter cannot load the input file properly'.

Anyone have any ideas? I've reviewed quite a bit on the simulator and there's nothing specific (at least not that I've found) in regards to errors when loading CAD models. I know the acceptable file types (.ive? Really NI? I'd never even heard of OpenSceneGraph!), and I can load some parts from a shipping example, but nothing custom.

My goal here is to create a Stewart platform simulator, and the shipping example for same is where I got some of the original models I imported. Since I can't programmatically parse the XML file that is used in the shipping example (yeah, thanks for the bizarre schema, guys) in order to accurately determine joint end locations, I tried building my own model. No luck yet.

Help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,105 Views)

Hi ElectricWraith, 

I'm sorry that you are experiencing frustration with this toolkit. First off the .stl file format as of right now is not supported. The .wrl is supposed to be supported. We are trying to duplicate what you are doing here. If you could attach a screen shot of both the model view in SolidWorks and the error message you are seeing in LabVIEW that will help us to further understand what you are experiencing. Also if you could attach the .wrl file, I could try and import it onto a computer here. 

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,080 Views)

Ryan,

I understand that the direct import of .stl files isn't supported, I just tried it out of frustration, and only then because some of the shipping examples (OmniRobot, for example) make use of them. Attached are a screenshot of the cylinder model, the .wrl file (renamed to .txt in order to attach, just change the extension back) created from the cylinder model, and a screenshot of the error dialog.

You'll see that I have a material property applied to the cylinder, it's stainless steel. I've tried an even simpler cylinder with no material specified, same result.

Thanks for trying to help.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,061 Views)

Hi ElectricWraith,

So I tried importing your file and I did get the same result as you. I also went onto the internet and found a .wrl model and tried the same process and it worked. I attached the file below and if you could try it on your system and let me know if it works or not. If it does, what we can do from there is discuss what could be wrong with your file/model and how to ensure that the parts you need can be imported. I hope this helps.

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,029 Views)

Ryan,

OK, I'll try your file. I'm more than a bit of a Solidworks noob so I'm sure there could be a setting or property I've not configured correctly that's causing the problem. The documentation is a bit sparse (read: non-existent) regarding specifics of models to be imported.

What happened to the CAD model converter that was in LV2011?

Thanks and I'll let you know if this works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,010 Views)

You should take a look at the differences between your model and the one I gave you. Also in SolidWorks make sure that all of the edges are sewn together. Try removing the textures and import the file I gave  you into SolidWorks and see what it visually converts to in that environment and export that back out again into a new file and see if that one will work in LabVIEW. There seems to be some limitation or feature in your model that is not allowing LabVIEW to import it. 

Ryan
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,000 Views)

Ryan,

It worked, I was able to import the file into the Simulation Builder. I compared the two files and there are significant differences. The header info at the beginning of the file, for starters. Your model is formatted in VRML 2.0, UTF8, mine is VRML 1.0, ASCII. Mine seems to have a lot of texture information (which makes sense) and yours doesn't. The problem I have now is how to save a model such that the .wrl is formatted similarly. I checked and VRML 1.0 is the highest I can go in Solidworks 2012.

I other thing I should point out is that it's not just my models that haven't been working, it's been a few others I've gotted from places like 3DContentCentral and GrabCAD.

Any pointers here?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,996 Views)

Hi guys,

Don't mind me chipping in, but when I tried to import .STL files using the 'Load STL Geometry' I found that you have to ensure your .STL file is in ASCII format.

Basically, there are two types of .STL file, and the 'Load STL Geometry' can only load ASCII STL files, not Binary STL files.

You can select whether it's ASCII or Binary when you save an STL file through Autocad.

Hope this helps,

Josh E
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,947 Views)

In solidworks 2013/2014 you have to select the VRML 97 in option during saving

Save As >> VRML (*.wrl) >> Options >> Output as/Verson: VRML.

The file extension should be lower case when saved. 

This worked for me.

Message 9 of 10
(3,715 Views)

Muchas gracias tu solución me fue de gran ayuda

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,159 Views)