From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add network devices in NI MAX

Hello everyone,

I am very new to LabVIEW and I am having a problem I can't solve on my own. I am trying to connect to a device via TCP/IP. Right now, it is just a printer hooked up the company network to test how this works (we'll get an upgrade for manufacturing equipment quite soon and I don't want to completly embarass myself when the technicians come here Smiley Wink). 

However, when I open NI MAX and right-click on "Devices and Interfaces" the "Create new" prompt doesn't appear. I feel kind of stupid to ask this question, but does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Qbach

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(10,026 Views)

You don't need to add them.

Networking is done on any available device - you generally don't specify a network interface when listening/opening/reading/writing to/from the network and the OS deals with which networking adapter actually transmits/receives the data.

You just specify a target IP address and the OS/Network will find a route to it if it can on any available adapter (e.g. Ethernet/Wifi etc.).

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(10,019 Views)
Sam,

That's not true for certain Ethernet instruments. You very often have to use the Create New>TCP/IP Instruments to use VISA just like you might have to create new simulated DAQmx devices. Not having any options is actually a problem.

Qbach,

What drivers do you have installed? Do you have NI-VISA? This would be a separate install from LabVIEW.
Message 3 of 10
(10,010 Views)

Ah right - yes I guess you're right about "Ethernet Instruments" such as benchtop instruments you connect to TCP/IP with VISA. I had assumed he meant network devices as in hardware network devices such as your ethernet/Wifi adapter and it kind of sounded like he was doing native TCP/IP communications rather than using VISA instruments.

Apologies for the confusion!

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(10,002 Views)

Dennis,

I have  NI VISA installed, as you can see in the attached image.NI_MAX

Is it maybe a problem with the missing/not functioning devices in the device manager?

Device Manager

Sam, absolutley no problem. As I mentioned, I am new to LabVIEW and don't now how to specify my problems without confusing anyone 😉

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(9,998 Views)

I updated all drivers, still doesn't work...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(9,984 Views)
I'm sorry, I don't understand the language you are using. What is the device under Devices and Interfaces? You have two serial ports and one other. How did that get there? Are you an admin on the pc?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(9,968 Views)

It's german. And it says "network devices". It appears or disappears when you select "local" or "local and network" under my system where it says something like "internet access to system configuration". However, this does not influence the ability add or create a new device in NI MAX.

Clipboard01.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(9,952 Views)
You've updated to version 14 of NI-VISA? The older version should have worked, though. I wouldn't think that the error in device manager would affect the ability to use the create new option but it's something that should be addressed. I don't have any other ideas, sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(9,941 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I did what I should have done first, I guess. I reinstalled VISA and now it works. Smiley Indifferent

At least it's working. Thanks for your comments!

Message 10 of 10
(9,916 Views)