LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can read/write through hyperterminal program, but Labview just times out, no idea why

Have had a labview program running for a while, doing great, writes a command over a usb rs232 ni box and reads the response without issue. Then the IT guys here added some accounts to the computer I use and suddenly Labview doesnt want to send commands through the rs232 line anymore. What could have changed? Literally nothing was altered on the program side but suddenly it does not work. If I use termite to send a command over the com port though it works like  a charm. Is there some sort of configuation change labview side that might have unknowingly occurred when the IT people were messing with the accounts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,183 Views)

IT guys are known for breaking things whenever they decide to change something.  Probably ties into job security.

Why did they need to add accounts to your computer?

But there is no reason I'm aware of that something like adding accounts would have any effect on serial port or NI-VISA.

Is it possible they did something else to the PC that you're not aware of?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,175 Views)

No idea what they changed. I asked and they only responded with the question is labview profile specific? Which I assume is a no.

They needed to put my computer on a local network for backup and monitoring purposes -_-

I am doing a clean install of labview at the moment but if that does not work I am at a loss as far as what could have happened. I followed this link http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/171D2D70CFB66E74862571390062D12B and have my serial port configured correctly, experimented with an endless array of delay between writes, reads, etc. combinations, and labview just does not want to read through an NI serial to usb converter any more.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,166 Views)

I know of nothing profile specific about LabVIEW.  If I am mistaken, then hopefully someone will see this and let us know.

Actually one thing that is is LabVIEW Data folder which is stored under the user's my documents directory.  But there is nothing there that I know of that would related to VISA or serial ports.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,151 Views)

Did they change something with the permissions? It could be that they've put it on a domain and now it comes under the IT group policy and that can impose some restrictions on what you can do. Have you tried running LabVIEW as administrator? Does NI-MAX still show the VISA port?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,142 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

Did they change something with the permissions? It could be that they've put it on a domain and now it comes under the IT group policy and that can impose some restrictions on what you can do. Have you tried running LabVIEW as administrator? Does NI-MAX still show the VISA port?

I second this motion.  Ive seen several application i run fail due to permissions when the IT guys change stuff. 

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,128 Views)