LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Protocol Testing Techniques

Hi all,

I am new to this CAN protocol, i want to know some basic testing methods for the  possible or occured defects, can any one plz tell me what are all

the possible defects which you've come across in the CAN and how do you resolved that  and what are all the methods? for example:- if you used any tool you can suggest that also what are all the steps you done in he tool , it will be more usefull for the begineers like me  to approach the CAN

Thanks

shan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,235 Views)

CAN is a very robust network.  There exists things like hardware retransmits, and ack from other nodes as well as priority based on message IDs and error checking.  Generally you don't test a CAN bus, you use CAN to test a device.  So say the device has an analog to digital converter.  You provide it a known value with a power supply, then ask the device over CAN what it sees.

That being said there are CAN tests you can perform but are usually limited to environmental things.  Like bombard the device with large static charge and see if the CAN messages are read properly.  Or look at the voltage between CAN high and ground, and CAN low and ground.  I believe each should be 2.5V.  There is also tests looking at the rise and fall time of the CAN high and low that can be performed too.

But again these tests are generally not done.  Depending on your application just talking to a device proves that a CAN transeiver was put together properly and maybe enough to say the CAN bus works.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,204 Views)