From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labview Real-Time Accomodate 2 Harddrives?

Hi guys,

Is it possible to have two physical hard drives in an LV-RT PC? One for the operating system and the other for fast storage? I tried installing a second hard drive and now it appears LVRT isn't installed. This is because it's trying to boot from the new drive first. I'm going to go and change it in a second, but I just thought I'd ask if it was possible, and if so, how?

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,726 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,710 Views)

Hi AlexAAuck

In the Knowledge Base article titled “How Can I Create a Real-Time Desktop PC if I Cannot Use the USB Key Utility?”, in the installation process they specify to make sure that you will install LabVIEW Real time on the hard drive that is set to primary master.

Keeping that in mind I do not see any reason why you could not be able to have 2 hard drives on the same real time PC.

Regards

Esteban R. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,642 Views)

Hi Esteban,

Neither do I, but regardless, the second hard drive is not visible in the FTP client, nor is it visible as an increase in the available disk space. So if you have any ideas of how to make it be seen, let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,606 Views)

Hi AlexAAuck

Which format has the hard drive that you are using on that computer? It seems that the hard drives and external USB flash drives must be FAT 32.

Does the computer fulfill the requirements for Real time computer?

Regards

Esteban R.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,576 Views)

@AlexAAuck wrote:

Neither do I, but regardless, the second hard drive is not visible in the FTP client, nor is it visible as an increase in the available disk space. So if you have any ideas of how to make it be seen, let me know.

It is visible, it's just that the FTP server defaults to using Drive C and mapping additional drives are not immediately "intuitive".  If you're using any of the LabVIEW primitives (such as File VIs), you would reference additional drives by their drive letters in a "windows" pathing methodology - for example, "c:\ni-rt\system".  The first (default) drive is drive C, then drive D, then drive E, and so on.  USB drives, for example, start at Drive U (the second is Drive V, then W, an so on).  FTP, on the other hand, requires a different syntax.  "/" gives the path to the "root", which is Drive C.  If you access the target via FTP, this is all you're going to see with a standard "/".  In order to access additional drives, you have to access them via "/D:/" when accessing drive D, for example.  No, there's no "supported" way to "auto-detect" how many drives are in the system - you pretty much have to attempt to access the drive and if you get a valid listing then you know it's there.  If you have a USB drive plugged in (and remember you must install the USB support module onto the system via MAX) then you can access the USB drive via "/U:/" (without the quotes).  

Hope this helps.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,569 Views)

Hi Danny,

Yes that is extremely helpful. I'll go poking around now.

Kind regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,529 Views)