LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Labview Generate a .NET Assembly that has Events?

I'm looking to create a .net assembly from Labview that provides events. In my case, the .net assembly will handle communication to a robot. I need to fire an event back when the robot has completed a move. Is this possible? Or does the labview application builder only provide a means of producing dlls with basic inputs and outputs.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,692 Views)

Thutch,

It appears as though you can create .NET assemblies from LabVIEW.  Directions can be found here:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/building_a_net_assembly/

I hope that helps!

J Newk
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,677 Views)

I should have been more clear. I know you can create .net assemblies, what is not clear is if you can provide interops (events) in you VI that can be accessed through .net.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,652 Views)

Thutch,

Documentation for this is definitely a little difficult to come by.  I see no reason why generating an event in LabVIEW would not work, however there is no concrete evidence that it will.  Can you give a little more information on what exactly you are trying to do so we can help you further?

Thanks!

J Newk
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,628 Views)

I'm trying to create a VI that I can turn into a .net assembly. This VI will control a robot. I need to be able to generate an event in the VI that is accessible to an outside program. For example, the robot will be performing moves that take a long time. At the end of the move, I need the .net assembly to broadcast an event saying it is complete. Or if there is an error, I need it to broadcast an event with the error details. I know this is done routinely in other languages because when I call a .net assembly from Labview I can register for events, I just can't figure out how to do it the other way around.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,614 Views)

Does anyone have an answer to this topic? I'm interest too!

Thanks.

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,486 Views)

mbaudot, this thread is three years old. Please create a new thread to get better visibility for your question. Feel free to reference this thread in your new thread if needed.

William R.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,459 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion GiantDeathRobot.

However, I don't think creating duplicated threads because they are too old is a good idea. It just makes everything more confusing on the forums.

If you and me were capable to find this thread, I'm sure someone else who can reply to it will find it as well Smiley Wink

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,450 Views)