From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use LabView to implement an array of microphones for localization of sound?

Hi,

I am new to LabVIEW.

Can anybody please explain me if I could implement an array of microphones for localization of sound?

If yes, how can I do it?

thanks in advance ! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 24
(5,323 Views)

This i certainly doable in LabVIEW.

Do you have problems with the hardware setup or with the algorithm? Both seems relatively simple. Are you looking for a 2D or 3D localization?

How many microphones do you have? How are they arranged? What kind of DAQ hardware? What kind of sound? What precision do you need?

Are you looking to build something like this?

Message Edited by altenbach on 09-10-2009 06:57 PM
Message 2 of 24
(5,315 Views)
And for a system that has been done, see here.
Message 3 of 24
(5,303 Views)
These guys did something similar, using accelerometers to triangulate the impact point of a bullet in a piece of drywall.  You can review their code and see the magnitude of the problem you're working on.
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 4 of 24
(5,260 Views)

I need help with both hardware as well as software.

I am not sure if it is 2D or 3D localozation. But my guess would be 2D since I do not plan to localize sound that is coming from above the head.

I am planning to get 4 microphones and arrange them in a circular fashion. I have a virtex-5 FPGA which I think might help.

My implementation would be like something for a robot. It should detect any kind of sound that is useful to the human ear.

This might be similar to the gun-shot detection system that you sugested (except for the kind of sound it detects).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 24
(5,222 Views)

Check out this PDF doccument that goes over the details of triangulation for multi sensor systems (both triangulation and tirlaterlation).

Then check out the code from the Waterloo Labs Team, You can use the exact same functions if you are using DAQmx compatible hardware, you will just need to calibrate it to the range you are looking for. If you have questions about how to use the code just post on the community page.

Message 6 of 24
(5,158 Views)

Although this is done using accelerometers, it has given me an idea for my implementation.

kudos hueter !

I would really appreciate if you, or anybody else could post any kind of code/implementation-technique/any material involving array-of-microphones/localization-of-sound.

thanks guys ! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 24
(5,110 Views)
I would recommend that you design your proposed solution and then ask for help for the implementation.  Otherwise, could we have your degree if we do the thesis for you?  😉
Message 8 of 24
(5,093 Views)

Ray,

The solution is theoretically designed.

No fool will try to do a thesis without a solution to the peoblem and a method.

and no fool will put his whole methodology in public.

I just need help in implementing it in LabVIEW since I am new to it.

Yes I am a dummy in LV, but not in other things my friend.

Please help me only if you want to, otherwise please ignore my post. 

thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 24
(5,070 Views)

Ray helps a lot of people through this Forum.  From your post it almost sounded like you wanted someone to do everything for you.  What those of us who participate on this Forum (mostly as volunteers) do best is to answer specific questions about LabVIEW or related instrumentation.

Do you need help with the data acquisition?  If so, tell us what equipment you have, how fast you intend to sample, how many channels, ... and then ask a specific question.

Do you need help to learn LV?  If so, start with the on-line tutorials.

Do you need help implementing your algorithm?  If so, put together your best attempt, then post that VI along with indications of what does not seem to be workng the way you want it to work.

It sounds like an interesting project. Depending on your specific needs, several different members of the community may offer suggestions and help.

Lynn 

Message 10 of 24
(5,052 Views)