LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I monitor the status of the serial flow control

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a complex byte error tester written in LV.  It works great but in one mode of testing a unit, the throughput falls off severely.  Is there a way to see if the UUT is exerting a flow control in real time?  Yes, I have flow control enabled, I just would like to be able to see if that is what is slowing down the transfers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,843 Views)

Right off the top of my head I would say use one of the old serial breakout boxes with the LED's on the flow control lines. 

There are a few serial sniffer programs out there, but they tend to focus on sniffing the data and ignore the flow control. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,835 Views)

Thanks for the input.  Being an old guy, I know about the breakout boxes, but I was hoping there was a system level call that would give you visibility in the program.

I played with the NI I/O sniffer program but I didn't see where I could monitor the control lines.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,830 Views)
Solution
Accepted by RavensFan

Using a VISA Property Node, you can get the state of a bunch of modem signals (Serial Settings->Modedem Line Settings).  The CTS and DSR lines are the ones you would likely want to watch.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(2,823 Views)

You can check the status of the hardware flow control lines using a property node.

Message 5 of 7
(2,818 Views)

Thanks.  That is what I was looking for

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,721 Views)

Be sure to mark the actual message that was the solution.

Your own thank you message is not the solution.

That way people in the future can find the most helpful message right away, and it gives the person who helped credit for providing the solution.

Using Accepted Solutions

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,714 Views)