From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I detect if a module is present in CRIO FPGA?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cRIO-9073 controller chassis with 8 NI 9237 modules. I plan to use FPGA reads - not the scan engine. Can I detect whether a module is present or not within my FPGA VI? If not, is there a way to do this within the RT Host VI? (This is my first cRIO project so I'm still a bit green). I can foresee my client needing to replace a module sometime in the future and still needing to operate the system with the remaining modules - so the system must be robust and adaptible to fault conditions.

- Thanks in advance

- Tore

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,920 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TJohnsen

Hi TJohnsen,

Yes you can use this set of VIs: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1717

Hope this helps.

Kurt  

Message 2 of 15
(4,911 Views)

Thanks, this helps!

Looking at the source code for the FPGA VI made it all clear. Just needed to place FPGA I/O property nodes linked to each module, then choose to return the Module ID Property. A note to anyone else reading this: According to the documentation it appears that the Model ID may return a non-zero value the first time it is read after a module has been removed. 

- Tore

Hi TJohnsen,

Yes you can use this set of VIs: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1717

Hope this helps.

Kurt 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,889 Views)

The link is dead, anybody have an updated link?

Thank you.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 4 of 15
(4,233 Views)

Hello James,

Try this library of VI's and let me know if they do what you would like:

http://www.ni.com/example/51852/en/

Thanks!

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,209 Views)

Thanks, Dragon!

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

Message 6 of 15
(4,200 Views)

So actually, I'm having a problem now. I just use FindSystems.vi, but am throwing this error when I use Run as Startup on the cRIO:

-2147220620, Source: nisyscfg.lvlib:Find Systems.vi:1750001<APPEND>
<b>Complete call chain:</b>
nisyscfg.lvlib:Find Systems.vi:1750001

I do not get this error, however, when running the RT VI in developer mode. I've made sure the cRIO has everything installed and up to date, so that's not the problem. I also forced the nisyscfg.dll to be included in the support directory.

Is there something else I can try?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,184 Views)

Hello James,

In newer versions of LabVIEW Real-Time, the System Configuration VI's should be included. If you have the Real-Time module installed, on you block diagram, try going to Real-Time >>Utilities >> System Configuration >> FindHardware.vi and see if this produces different results from the other System Configuration VI's. Try these and see if they produce the same results. I found the same error code you found but, unfortunately, it was part of a Create Action Request filed for DAQmx 9.4 Smiley Frustrated Another thing you could try is updating your DAQmx version. Feel free to share other specifications such as your OS, LabVIEW version, LabVIEW RT version, cRIO, etc.

Thanks!

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,151 Views)

I switched to the Find Hardware VI and it doesn't error, but what I need is network devices. I have expansion chassis on the network that I need to confirm are connected. The Find Hardware VI only lists off local devices. I asked about the error over at this topic here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LV-RT-System-Config-Find-Systems-vi-Error-quot-2147220620-quot/m-p/...

Thanks,

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,141 Views)

Hello James,

What operating system are you using and what cRIO are you attempting to connect to?

Thanks,

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,123 Views)