From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a subpanel, pops up in own window instead of sub panel when there is an error

Hi all. I am working on my first real LV project for my company, and I am having some problems. The main one right now happens when I am trying to call a subVI into a subpanel. It shows up in the subpanel just fine when the program starts, but when there is an error in the error handler it skips over the invoke method and pops my subVI in its own window. Anyone have an idea on what I am doing wrong? I have included a picture of how I am trying to populate the subpanel.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,379 Views)

You're calling the VI and it's opening.  Look up SubPanel in the LabVIEW help and take a look at the example.  What you're doing is calling the VI not loading it into a sub panel.

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,357 Views)

When I call the VI that way, however, it does load into the subpanel (so long as there are no errors). I am trying to reproduce what a coworker has done with his subpanel. His works great, and I would ask him for help, but he is not available as he is working on a much more pressing project.

I was able to figure it out before I sent this mesage. Before doing anything with a subpanel, my coworker was running a "clear errors" function. That is how he was able to get around the problems I was having. Thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,337 Views)

@robot_mower_guy wrote:

but when there is an error in the error handler it skips over the invoke method and pops my subVI in its own window.

I assume you have an error handling case in your state machine.  So if an error happens in your error handler, you will have be passing that error around the shift register.  Yes, that will mean that the invoke node ot insert the VI will not run due  to the error.  You need to handle your error from the error handling state.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,327 Views)

That is what a coworker told me an hour ago. The only reason I am doing a lot of things is because the guy before me did them. I understand C++ code and can learn from what those before me have done, but with labview right now I am shamelessly ripping my coworkers off.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,322 Views)