From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call runtime VI from executable

I have a program that resides on a PC that is linked to the FP system via network.  I have a VI on the FP runtime system that I need to call from the program on the PC.  This works fine in development mode, but does not work in the executable.  I have the VI in the root path on the FP system and call it using the path \\ni-rt\my.vi (I have tried many variations).  The error I get back is that the VI is not in memory or cannot be found.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,997 Views)
Steve,

Check out this post - it sounds like you may not have all of the dependencies down on the target...

I assume when you are talking about creating an exe, you are creating an exe on both the host and target???

Hope that helps...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,986 Views)

Do you have to make the program on the RT an executable?

What is App directory for the RT files?  Is it the path on the RT system (ie ni-rt\startup...)?

Message Edited by Murfi on 01-19-2007 10:20 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,984 Views)
You do not have to make the RT program an executable, but you will need to make sure that it has all of it's dependencies so that it can load and run from disk. An easy way of making sure that you have all of the dependencies is to build it as a 'Source Distribution'. Then you can FTP that to the target. From the host you then call 'Open Application Reference' and provide the IP of the RT target to connect to LabVIEW on the target. Then you should call 'Open VI Reference' and pass it the absolute path to your top level VI on disk (i.e. "c:\my app\top level.vi").

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest providing a simple example project and VIs. From that I'm sure we could get it to work.

-JR
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,973 Views)