LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Horsepower using a Hall Effects Sensor and Load Cell

Hello.

I am an engineering student who is building her own Engine/CVT Dynamometer and am attempting to write a program that will calculate horse power while the engine runs. I have a hall effects sensor for rpm and a load cell for torque which I want to have as two changing variables that are plugged into HP=RPM*Torque/5252. I am having an issue writing a program that will use both sensors. Any pointers?

Katie Brown

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,719 Views)

1. Read and understand the datasheets for the Hall effect sensor and the load cell. In particular:
    What excitation and/or power supply do they require? Current & voltage.
    What form does their output take, i.e. does the Hall sensor produce a series of pulses? Are these TTL, or open collector (needing a pull-up resistor)? What frequency do you expect over your speed range?
    What form does the loadcell signal take? Voltage, current or what? What output does the minimum and maximum expected load produce?
  2. Use standard lab instrumentation, i.e. an oscilloscope for the hall sensor and a multimeter for the load cell to check that you get the electrical signals you expect.
  3. Does the accuracy you achieve meet your experimental requirements?
  4. The Hall sensor produces a pulse train whose frequency is proportional to speed. You have to decide how to handle this: Either with a NI data acquisition unit that comes equipped with suitable counters, or by means of an external frequency to voltage converter. An external f to V converter can be purchased or fabricated using a cheap IC. Google will help here.
  5. Use the NI example programmes to acquaint yourself with their technology, and for how to acquire signals and display them.
  6. At this point modifying the data acquisition programme should be easy.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,709 Views)