From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate RPM from analog inductive sensor

Hi!

I have an analog inductive sensor hooked up to a rotating shaft that as a screw in it. I'm trying to get the RPM value from the shaft but I'm stuck. I have already implemented someone ells code here on the forum to calculate the total number of revolutions, but not the rpm. 

I know there is several ways of getting the values, I have tried to convert my analog signal (0-5V) to a digital square wave (0, 1) so I could then use pulse measurement or tone measurement to get the frequency (w=2*pi/T), with the frequency I can get the rpm. But I didn’t succeed with converting my analog signal to a digital one. 

I have also tried to use pulse management and tone measurement directly on the analog signal but I don’t get the right values, reason why is because there is some nose around 0V that the pulse measurement calculate as a frequency, I have tried filtering it away without success. 

And I have also tried to use FFT on my analog signal to get the frequency, but nor did I get this to work either. 

What I'm I doing wrong? Is there an easier way? I’m I on the right track at least?

Best regards Maurlind

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,878 Views)

I'm not sure I understand your problem.  It seems to me you were successful at reading the RPM.  Is there another question?

Oops, I think you were explaining how you should be able to calcuate it and couln't actually do it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,868 Views)

Unfortunately I only have LV 2013 so I can't see your VI.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,864 Views)

Here is a quick example that I posted on a similar question.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,849 Views)

Hi Maurlind. Well, at least some of what you tried should have worked somehow and it should be easier than this. What is your captured signal like? - a nice even waveform or full of noise? If Hoovahh's example doesn't help you, can you capture some of the raw waveform into a tdms file and post it so we can see what the signal that you are trying to analyse looks like. It would make it much easier to suggest a solution which can actually filter out and count the taco pulses.

Stu.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,836 Views)

Hi Stuart!

I will post som tdm files of the waveform that i get from my signal. Unfortunately I only have acces to my equipment on monday, so I will post it then!

Thanks!

Best regards Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,818 Views)

HI !

Here is the  two tdm files and a screenshot of them. The one to the left in the screenshot is the filtered  signal with a lowpassfilter, and the one to the right is the raw signal.

Best regards Maurlind!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,786 Views)

Why not just use a counter to measure the frequecy on the pulses?  That would be, by far, the simplest approach to this problem.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,770 Views)

Hi!

To use a counter, dosen't I need to have that kind of module? 

Since I only have a analog input module for my signal, I don't think I could use a counter.

Best regards Maurlind!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,763 Views)

@maurlind wrote:

Hi!

To use a counter, dosen't I need to have that kind of module? 

Since I only have a analog input module for my signal, I don't think I could use a counter.

Best regards Maurlind!

What DAQ hardware do you have?  Many of the PCI/PXI DAQ modules have counters on them that you could use.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,753 Views)