LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRio 9074 failed to connect to MaxPox Maxon drive in EtherCAT

Dear all,

I am trying to establish a communication between a CRio 9074 and a MaxPos Maxon drive over EtherCAT. I configure the CRio as a EtherCAT master (maybe the problem is here...) and load the Maxon ESI file. In the project tree, I see my device (Address 0, MAXPOS). I have only one module above it : Mod1 (Slot1, PPM/PVM Mode). First : I should have more than one mode, like Torque Mode. Anyway, in my RT main, I try to communicate with the Maxon drive (IndComECAT Module / Vendor ID or Name), but it return -66205 error code (the variable object was not found).

Here, I am lost. Could anyone tell me how to check the EtherCAT communication, and how to be sure that the CRio 9074 is well configurate for this opreration ? For information, ESI file as the good EtherCAT format (confirmed by Maxon engineer).

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,656 Views)

Hi!

Do you know this KB?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/FDA1318A8909D02C862574510060DB62

At exactely what step are you failing/ seeing something different then expected?

Regards

René

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,620 Views)

Dear René,

Thanks for your reply.

I already have done exactly what mentionned in the link you post. Importing device file is done succesfuly, but no communicatation is established...

I contact Maxon engineer, that told me to change the state slave device in NI project. The communication problem might come from that : the device is probably in "init" state, not in the "pre-op" state. Absolutly no idea about how to change this in NI.

Has someone any idea ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,612 Views)

Hi,

When you work strictly offline, can you successfully add all the devices with the I/Os? Do you have unknown devices when adding modules, even offline? There seems to be an issue with that drive´s XML file we are about to investigate,

Regards

René

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,543 Views)

Hi,

I get an answer from NI Germany. The problem come from the Labview version : it works with 14.0, but not with 13.1 (even SP1).

With LV 14.0, all modules (CSP/CST/CSV/PPM/PVM Modes) with the device are listed fine in the project tree (under EtherCAT master).

So the only way to correct this is to upgrade LV...

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,536 Views)

Hi,

I am also trying to get a MAXPOS controller working with an RT target (ETS rather than RIO). I have gotten as far as discovering the controller in the project and importing the PPM/PVM mode, but that is where the fun ends, as I don't have any of the IO variables for this mode listed and the scan engine refuses to enter the active mode. If I open the "online device state" dialog then I can read the device object dictionary, so I know that the MAXPOS really is connected. Have you had any success in getting further than this? Having bashed away at this for a day and 1/2 I am getting pretty frustrated!

Kind regards,

Peter Bonham

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,426 Views)

Hi Peter,

The solution has not been reached yet...

Anyway, it seems that the main problem come from the version of LV and the ESI file (the tag in ESI file "OverwrittenByModule" was not supported in EtherCAT 2.6).

Secondly, before changing state from PreOP to Safe OP and above, CRio must be in "active mode" (don't know how to do that yet...).

If I have the solution someday, I will post it.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,386 Views)

Hi

Currently, I'm stuck at the same point as Peter.

- I've updated to LV14

- On the EtherCAT, there are two Kollmorgen Drives as well which work fine.

- I can discover the MaxPos

- There are no IO's shown after adding to the hierarchy

Is there any special ESI-File for use with LabVIEW, or is a special Firmware needed on the MaxPos to make the drive work?

Thanks and Greetings

Felix

Felix Aeschimann | LabVIEW CLA
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,239 Views)

Hi,

The problem has been soved by NI. They find that there is ESI from Maxon has error. They modified the ESI file to allow us to import it to the Labview project (see attached file).

Hope this could help you.

PVM Mode

1. Close LabVIEW
  2. Copy "maxon maxon_motor_maxpos - PVM Mode.xml" to C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\IndComECAT\DD and ftp://10.112.1.23/ni-rt/system/IndComECAT/DD/
  3. Delete all other MAXON xml files in these two folders
  4. Start LabVIEW
  5. Create a blank project
  6. Add the RT-PXIe-8135 target. The EtherCAT Master and Slave will automatically get detected and added:
  7. (in case the old mode is still deployed first undeploy the old mode by right clicking the EtherCAT master>undeploy, delete the EtherCAT Master and add the EtherCAT Master again)
  8. We can see that the PVM In- and Outputs are now in the project.
  9. Deploy all Settings to the target by right clicking the EtherCAT master>Deploy all
  10. Click apply for this dialog: 
  11. Verify that the slave is in operational Mode:
  12. Create a new VI
  13. Drag and drop all PVM In and Outputs to the blockdiagram
  14. Create all controls and indicators
  15. Run the VI
  16. Result: No error. Since I don't have the motor I can't test what happens if I change parameters like PVM Outputs-TargetPosition. At least we are in operational mode and I can read and write the PVM in- and outputs.

Unfortunatly, I don't have support from Maxon...

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,219 Views)

Thanks for your help, but I couldn't find any attached file 😞

Felix Aeschimann | LabVIEW CLA
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,204 Views)