From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN

Hello,

I am trying to develop a project for building machines working in quarries. I want to use a microcontroller to collect data like fuel level, consumption, speed, location from the CAN network of the machine, and send it wireless to outside server. My question is what hardware equipment and software should I buy to make this happen?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,007 Views)

Hello,

There might be so many different answers to your need. My best advice woulc be to get in touch with your local sales representative. He will certainly be able to give you more accurate recommendations based on your applications and your needs.

Some examples :

- sbRIO boards may include CAN ports and offer little size but are reserved for OEM

- cRIO + CAN module is a good match for embedded, reliable and rugged applications for embedded test.

- PCI/PXI CAN boards are simple to use but need a PXI chassis or a desktop machine to use them.

- USB CAN module is the cheapest option but requires a host PC (not headless).

Regards,

Eric M. - Senior Software Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect - Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer - Certified LabWindows™/CVI Developer
Neosoft Technologies inc.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,940 Views)

What sort of wireless range are you talking here? WiFi, or do you need more range and need to go with something like ZigBee? The best NI solution for this would be a sbRIO - they have a CAN port, ethernet and serial ports for talking to a Zigbee radio. If you need to go cheaper, many microcontrollers have CAN / UART (serial) peripherals.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,914 Views)

Considering that the quarries are in remote places on mountains, and that the server where my database is in a different city, we're talking of a range of 100 miles in some cases. I was thinking of using GSM so that the range doesn't matter. Also in some cases where there is wi-fi signal in a quarry. So what do you suggest?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,907 Views)

Are you determined to brew your own solution?  There are companies (including my own) that sell premade solutions that do exactly what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,883 Views)

Well I started my own company in 2014 and last year I did a sort of fleet management software for a client that has 3 quarries and a lot of building machines. Now I am thinking of connecting my software with a real time acquisition system. In other words I am trying to develop my own system to sell.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,867 Views)