From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN signals from multiple databases for XNET Create Session

Hello,

Does XNET Create Session not work with an array of signals from multiple databases at all? Do the signals have to belong to the same database? If I want to monitor signals from three different databases, do I have to create three different sessions? From the errors I have observed so far, this seems to be the case but I would like to confirm it. Thank you.

Regards,

Pomirobotics

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,055 Views)

Hey Pomirobotics,

Yes, you can only use one database per session. Does your application have limitations to where you cannot keep one database, but instead have to split it into 3?

Regards,

Michael H

Message 2 of 7
(4,016 Views)

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to merge the databases into one because they had some frames with the same IDs. Luckily, I could remove some useless frames to avoid that issue.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,953 Views)

Related question. On page 4-13 of of NI-XNET Hardware and Software Manual I found this:

Multiple Databases Simultaneously
NI-XNET allows opening up to seven distinct databases at the same time. You can open any database from a database file or in memory. To open multiple in-memory databases, use the name :memory[<digit>]:; for example, :memory:, :memory1:, :memory2:.

but I cannot get it to work. Hoping somebody could provide a working example. I have LV11 (been a while since upgrade).

If it cannot be done. Is there a way to merge multiple .dbc files easily?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,696 Views)

Hi Joemar,

You can merge .dbc files in the ni xnet database editor.

Message 5 of 7
(3,686 Views)

Thank you. I was able to merge databases based on your recommendation.

It would still be nice to be able to use separate databases. A CAN network usually has several devices connected to it from several manufactures that manages their own database. It's a hassle to make changes to the merged database every time a manufacturer decides to update a database.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,677 Views)

I am surprised as there should be 1 CAN dbc file for 1 CAN bus as the dbc defines the rules of all ECUs which are talking to each other on that bus.

Is this a mess in design in the 1st place and that we are trying to fix it on test bench? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(594 Views)