LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN dbc files

I'm interested in writing an app that pulls in CAN information using LabVIEW 2010 and dbc files.  I know a fair amount about CAN itself, but almost nothing about dbc files.  I wondered if someone could point me to where I might find the following...

1.  A book or other detailed tutorial on how dbc files are formatted and used, starting from the beginning.

2.  Sample dbc files that I can use to debug code.

I think that would be a good place to start.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,500 Views)

Both the NI-CAN and NI-XNet APIs have functions for reading a DBC, getting frames, signals, scaling information, etc.  There are several shipped examples by going to Help >> Find Examples after you have either of those free APIs installed.  I wouldn't recommend parsing the file manually, far too error prone when other tools have done it for you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,428 Views)

I knew those existed, but I'm not sure how to use them.  Granted, I haven't tried, because I don't have any dbc files that I can use.  Hence, my second question.  Where can I get some sample files to use to help build the app?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,407 Views)

A few DBC files are shipped with NI-CAN and NI-XNet demos, so that there is something to show the demo is working.  Search your Examples folder for *.dbc after installing these and you'll find a couple.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,400 Views)

Ok, I'll do that.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,393 Views)