LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in Tab Control when inserted into SubPanel

Just would like to report about pretty old bug, which is still present in latest LabVIEW 2013 SP1 13.0.1f1.

I would like to insert SubVI with Tab Control into SubPanel, something like this:

insert.png

When SubVI executed, then I will set it to Page 2:

insert2.png

Now what I've got in my SubPanel:

insert3.png

Page 2 is active, but selector is not actualized - still show me active Page 1. Fully inconsistent.

Not sure if it was reported already or not, but needs to be fixed from my point of view.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,562 Views)

I don't have 2013 so i recreated your VIs in 2012. It is working properly for me. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,528 Views)

But yet another problem with tab controls... 

Seriously though, if you are already using a subpanel why complicate matters with a tab control?

Dynamically swap VIs in and out of the subpanels to present the same user experience as there was with the tabs.

Mike...

PS: It's not unusual for a bug to be fixed in one version of LV and break again in the next.

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,517 Views)

@aputman wrote:

I don't have 2013 so i recreated your VIs in 2012. It is working properly for me. 

Yes, your VIs working properly also in 2013.

I just "downgraded" my VIs to LabVIEW 8.0 - so they can be opened in 2012 and bug is present (but I cannot catch any differences between yours and my). Please try attached one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,492 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

But yet another problem with tab controls... 

Seriously though, if you are already using a subpanel why complicate matters with a tab control?

Dynamically swap VIs in and out of the subpanels to present the same user experience as there was with the tabs.

You're right - there are many ways to workaround about this bug. For example, if I will use Property Node instead of terminal or local variable, then it will working properly.

This contstruction with tab control in subpanel used in my settings dialog. I have modular plugin architecture, and some plugins may have settings, so they organised in the same way as LabVIEW Options dialog - listbox with installed plugins and subpanel, where according subvi from plugin is inserted. Mostly all plugins fit into my dialog (which is not resizible at this moment), but some modules have lot of settings - then they splitted into groups and the tab control is used (NI does this with vertical scrollbar, which is also not perfect).

When user made changes in settings, then last opened page is saved - when this dialog opened next time, then user should see last page - this is why I need to set page programmatically.

Really, I don't like to change whole architecture for workarounding bug in LabVIEW just for few modules. At this moment I using property node and it works for me.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,487 Views)

Check out the Options Dialog Framework if you want yours to look like LabVIEW's dialog.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-13146

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,451 Views)

Hi Andrey_Dmitriev,

I tried to reproduce the bug on LV 2013 and LV 2013 SP1  but I cannot observe any error. However your VI shows the odd behaviour. Are you sure that you have not saved your VI for an older version? The bug is reported for all LV versions until 2010.

Can you try to program it again from scratch and see if you observe the same behaviour?

Regards Anoj

Anoj Mubarak
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,437 Views)

@AnMu wrote:

Hi @Andrey_Dmitriev,

I tried to reproduce the bug on LV 2013 and LV 2013 SP1  but I cannot observe any error. However your VI shows the odd behaviour. Are you sure that you have not saved your VI for an older version? The bug is reported for all LV versions until 2010.

Can you try to program it again from scratch and see if you observe the same behaviour?

Hmmm, I was able to reproduce it from scratch in 2013SP1. It looks like race condition, or so, because it important where you  connected to the reference.

Compare:

screenshot.png

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,430 Views)

@aputman wrote:

Check out the Options Dialog Framework if you want yours to look like LabVIEW's dialog.

Don't bother downloading this. All the code is locked so you can't even fix things that are broken.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,425 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

@aputman wrote:

Don't bother downloading this. All the code is locked so you can't even fix things that are broken.

Mike...

Thank you, I have seen this. My solution looks exactly the same, but I have some additional features implemented, such as "Apply", "Default" and "Help" buttons. Also my own is highly integrated with my software (notification that the settings are changed, saving/restoring to ini, etc). Sometimes it make sense to develop own bicycle instead. In additional, I believe, I'll get same bug when tab control will be used here.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,421 Views)