From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in Icon Editor?

Solved!
Go to solution

I was editing a VI in LV 2012 yesterday and modifiying its icon.  I came across some odd behavior I would consider a bug.

I searched the forums and haven't found it being mentioned before.  I tried it today using LV 2013 and had the same behavior.  I have yet to try older versions.

See the attached VI.

In the icon editor, I made a layer invisible.  I didn't want to delete it yet, but I also didn't want to see it while I was creating a new layer on top.

I hit OK and the icon was saved within the VI.  It appeared just the way I wanted in terms of what layers I could see and which I turned off.

I edited the icon again to make a small change and hit OK.

Now the icon shows the layer I turned off !

I edited again, turned it off, hit OK, and it was like I wanted.

Edited again, and found the Visibility was turned on for all the layers when the icon was loaded back into the editor.

This is certainly unexpected and unwanted behavior.  I expect that layers that I have turned off to stay turned off when I reopen the icon editor.

Two VI's are attached.  The demo I created in LV 2013.  And one saved back to LV8.0 so that it can be tested in older versions.  I know that for a VI and icon created in LV2012 gave me the same unexpected behavior.

Download All
Message 1 of 7
(6,524 Views)

Good catch. I have never tested this before and now can confirm this behaviour in LV 2011.

Setting the invisiblity to "off" is switched back on when the icon editor opens the icon for editing. 

However, the opacity setting is kept.  As a workaround we can set the opacity of a layer to 0.

Message 2 of 7
(6,510 Views)
I filed a CAR on this a while ago, I'll update this post when I can with the specific number.
Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
Message 3 of 7
(6,461 Views)

This is documented in CAR 407147.

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
Message 4 of 7
(6,372 Views)

Thanks Craig for confirming this.

I did a bit more testing.  LV 2011 showed the same behavior just like Guenter said.

LV2009 did not show a problem at all.

LV2010 had a partial problem.  The first time I opened the LV8 file I saved, the invisible layer became visible.  But when I set turned off the visibility again then reopened the icon editor, it remained invisible.

So the problem seems to have begun with LV2010, and was fully formed with LV2011 thru 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,324 Views)

This may also have something to do with an issue I had where I hid the library icon in a VI.  I would then update the library icon and the VI's icon would now show the library icon again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,319 Views)
Solution
Accepted by RavensFan

CAR 407147 discussed in this thread was fixed in  LabVIEW 2014.  For a more complete list of bugs fixed in LabVIEW 2014, check the LabVIEW 2014 Bug Fixes. You can download an evaluation copy of LabVIEW 2014 at http://www.ni.com/trylabview/ or if you have an earlier version of LabVIEW installed and an active SSP subscription, you will be able to download the latest version of LabVIEW through NI Update Service.

Regards,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments | Certified LabVIEW Architect 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,772 Views)