From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug (feature?) - Constant labels show up in bookmark manager

Very minor, but thought I'd bring it up.  I noticed it while using the LAVA UI Tools addin.  Created a couple of constants to relabel the controls for 2 button dialog and they showed up in my bookmark manager.  The labels were not visible, but still showed in bookmarks.

Controls with # in label do not show, which makes me think it is a bug rather than feature.

LabVIEW 14.0f1

bookmarks.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,125 Views)
Well if its a bug I hope they don't fix it! That could be very useful.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,092 Views)

Hello, 

I was checking for you questions. It seems that all text that starts with ”#" is considered a bookmark. Just like this document says:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/labview-news-english/2013/10/18/5-things-you-need-to-know-about...

The "#" does not have to be necessarily at the beginning of the name.

Hope this answer your question since it is not a bug.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,031 Views)
Excellent!

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,026 Views)

@Rscd27 wrote:

Hello, 

I was checking for you questions. It seems that all text that starts with ”#" is considered a bookmark. 

Except when it is in the name or caption of a control/indicator.  It does seem like the label of anything on the block diagram acts as a bookmark though (including wire labels).  Even if they are hidden.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,021 Views)

I say it is a bug that it includes constant labels in the search for bookmarks, and it is a feature that it finds bookmarks that have the # symbol other than at the beginning of the text.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,011 Views)

Well i believe the knowledge base is really clear you can check it LabVIEW by creating a comment and using "#" at any place. It  says "at the beggining of any tex" , not at the beggining of the label or comment. This a feature that is included in LabVIEW, maybe the access to a constant can be useful in LabVIEW for other users. What he should do is just rename the label as "Button 1". However i will try to make more research here in NI, to see if its ment to be like that or not.

Randy 

Applications Enginner

National Instruments

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,995 Views)

Looking at the LabVIEW upgrade notes for 2013 gives some good information about bookmarks (pg17 of linked document)

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371780j.pdf

labels.JPG

The note at the bottom explains what you can attach comments too.  I could see this being pretty convenient if you want to attach a comment to a stub or subdiagram labels so you don't have to have free floating text or label arrows everywhere (I was really excited for being able to attach comments but I find it results in too many arrows).

I cannot find references to making multiple bookmarks per comment anywhere but I think it is a nice feature regardless. With this you can link the same comments to two bookmark groups, #ToDo #Jacobson could put the comment on a Master to do list but also put it on my personal list so I know I am responsible for that function.

Also props to Edupo for the idea exchange submission.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 8 of 8
(2,972 Views)