LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug (feature?) - Constant labels show up in bookmark manager

Very minor, but thought I'd bring it up.  I noticed it while using the LAVA UI Tools addin.  Created a couple of constants to relabel the controls for 2 button dialog and they showed up in my bookmark manager.  The labels were not visible, but still showed in bookmarks.

Controls with # in label do not show, which makes me think it is a bug rather than feature.

LabVIEW 14.0f1

bookmarks.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,109 Views)
Well if its a bug I hope they don't fix it! That could be very useful.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,076 Views)

Hello, 

I was checking for you questions. It seems that all text that starts with ”#" is considered a bookmark. Just like this document says:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/labview-news-english/2013/10/18/5-things-you-need-to-know-about...

The "#" does not have to be necessarily at the beginning of the name.

Hope this answer your question since it is not a bug.

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,015 Views)
Excellent!

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,010 Views)

@Rscd27 wrote:

Hello, 

I was checking for you questions. It seems that all text that starts with ”#" is considered a bookmark. 

Except when it is in the name or caption of a control/indicator.  It does seem like the label of anything on the block diagram acts as a bookmark though (including wire labels).  Even if they are hidden.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,005 Views)

I say it is a bug that it includes constant labels in the search for bookmarks, and it is a feature that it finds bookmarks that have the # symbol other than at the beginning of the text.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,995 Views)

Well i believe the knowledge base is really clear you can check it LabVIEW by creating a comment and using "#" at any place. It  says "at the beggining of any tex" , not at the beggining of the label or comment. This a feature that is included in LabVIEW, maybe the access to a constant can be useful in LabVIEW for other users. What he should do is just rename the label as "Button 1". However i will try to make more research here in NI, to see if its ment to be like that or not.

Randy 

Applications Enginner

National Instruments

Randy @Rscd27@
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,979 Views)

Looking at the LabVIEW upgrade notes for 2013 gives some good information about bookmarks (pg17 of linked document)

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371780j.pdf

labels.JPG

The note at the bottom explains what you can attach comments too.  I could see this being pretty convenient if you want to attach a comment to a stub or subdiagram labels so you don't have to have free floating text or label arrows everywhere (I was really excited for being able to attach comments but I find it results in too many arrows).

I cannot find references to making multiple bookmarks per comment anywhere but I think it is a nice feature regardless. With this you can link the same comments to two bookmark groups, #ToDo #Jacobson could put the comment on a Master to do list but also put it on my personal list so I know I am responsible for that function.

Also props to Edupo for the idea exchange submission.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 8 of 8
(2,956 Views)