LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bug] No leading zeros allowed in hex radix case selector label

Solved!
Go to solution

Undeterred by my roughly 5% response rate on bug reports around here, another one finally bugged me (get it?) enough to post.

When entering a value into a Case Selector label set to hex radix, leading zeros causes it to choke.

CaseLeadingZeros.png

entering 'fff' or 'fFf' or 'FfF' or 'FFF' works just fine.  I like fixed width hex displays myself so in a perfect world it would leave leading zeros alone, but at least they should be ignored.

Message 1 of 7
(4,540 Views)

I would prefer the display to be padded with zeroes on the left according to the number of nibbles in the datatype wired to the selector (or bits in case of binary display).

Message 2 of 7
(4,534 Views)

I stumbled over that one too some days ago...

I also prefer leading zeros and so fully agree with Christian's suggestion! Is there an IdeaExchange already present?

Now there is an idea...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 7
(4,507 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Darin.K

Reported as CAR 434420. At the very least, it should not interpret anything with leading zeros as a string. As an aside, the current behavior also happens if you try to add leading zeros to a decimal number (a much less common use case).

Thanks,

Jeff Peacock 

Product Support Engineer | LabVIEW R&D | National Instruments 

Message 4 of 7
(4,467 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

I stumbled over that one too some days ago...

I also prefer leading zeros and so fully agree with Christian's suggestion! Is there an IdeaExchange already present?

Now there is an idea...

Nope- thats a bug-  Kind of like an "Approved" idea except more like an anti-feature request.  We'll see how and when the CAR closes.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,452 Views)

The fact that leading zeroes make it choke is a bug.

The new feature to allow us to set the display format is an idea.

😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,441 Views)

CAR 434420 has been fixed in LabVIEW 2016. Details can be found in the LabVIEW 2016 Bug Fix List.

--------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,709 Views)