LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmark manager slow

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi. Is it just me or is the Bookmark manager super slow on large projects?

It seems like every time I open it Labview scans through all the files, looking for the comments

It takes between 15 to 20 seconds each time I open it.

the project has 900+ VIs

but only around 50 # comments, most of the application is done already

Why not scan only the newly edited files?

or even better, keep an index.

Maybe I should just try make my own..

on windows performance information I have 7.9 on disk data transfer rate (SSD) and 7.6 on the processor field (i7-3770 3.4GHz)

So I have ruled out slow hardware.

Comments appreciated.

-Magnus

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,844 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mersdal

@mersdal wrote:

Maybe I should just try make my own..

If you do feel free to share it with the community.  Not only does the Bookmark manager support customizing the tool, but the actual bookmarks are stored in plain text in the VI file.  No need for LabVIEW at all, until you want to do something like open the VI of where the tag is located.

Now that you mention it adding the functionality you suggested with an index of files, might not be that hard.  Perform a checksum, or MD5 or something on ever file, and then if that doesn't change, there is no need to rescan that VI for bookmarks.

EDIT:  Here is some VIs I wrote a while ago on the VI file structure.  There is an example in there on how to read Bookmarks by looking at the files on disk.

https://lavag.org/topic/18515-is-there-any-low-level-documentation-on-the-vi-format-just-as-far-as-t...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,839 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Now that you mention it adding the functionality you suggested with an index of files, might not be that hard.  Perform a checksum, or MD5 or something on ever file, and then if that doesn't change, there is no need to rescan that VI for bookmarks.

EDIT:  Here is some VIs I wrote a while ago on the VI file structure.  There is an example in there on how to read Bookmarks by looking at the files on disk.

https://lavag.org/topic/18515-is-there-any-low-level-documentation-on-the-vi-format-just-as-far-as-t...

Really nice ! I like it. It is a nice starting point for me. I had the zlib1.dll on my computer from a MinGW install luckily.

Maybe I'll do it this weekend. Thanks Hooovah.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,804 Views)

Magnus,

What LabVIEW version are you using? I identified a pretty low-risk performance improvement in the Bookmark Manager that I'm planning on implementing for a future LabVIEW version. If you're in 2014, I can give you the updated VIs (I think it's only two VIs) and you can let me know if you see a noticeable speedup.

Let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,788 Views)