LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth Low Energy examples/support

Hi,

I'm wondering has anybody been playing around with BLE in LabVIEW and/or are there any examples out there? I don't want to emulate a serial port profile. I have a connectblue OLP425 (which uses the TI CC2540). Even just connecting to the device would be a good start! 

Does NI have any intention of providing supporting VIs for BLE? Maybe some of the common profiles, for example? 

Thanks,

Niamh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,859 Views)

Hi Niamh,

Since your module is the one which is doing all of the comms there is no need to directly support BLE if all you want to do is communicated to the device. Looking at the datasheet of your module it appears it communicate through different ways, such as GPIO, SPI, I2C or even UART (serial) interface. So it appears that you could use a number of communication protocols and interfaces depending on what hardware you have on hand and etc. For instance, you can use an inexpensive usb DAQ device to do some of these (such as the NI USB 6008) and there are numerous examples for implementing these protocols in LabVIEW online.

Once you connect to the hardware reading the spec. sheet and deciding on how to approach the comms would be the most straightforward way to go.

Saying that, there is no specific example application built for this device as far as I'm aware of and we cannot provide support for 3rd party devices directly as well unfortunately.

Mark N
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,784 Views)

Hi MarkN,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately using a DAQ/other HW does not fit in with my application, which is currently in the early stage of development but will eventually require control of the device directly over BLE. I was hoping that there might be direct BLE support planned for LabVIEW - e.g. connect without pairing, GATT profile support, etc. 

Not to worry - I will see what I can port in from other platforms.

If any other users have tried to do something similar with BLE devices in LabVIEW without relying on an intermediate device to convert the BLE comms to some other profile, it would be great to hear what levels of success or otherwise you've had!

Thanks,

Niamh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,779 Views)

Hi Niamh

I trying to connect Labview and the CY8CKIT-BLE (the pioneer kit). This is BLE, as the name says.

I've manage to establish find my device in labview, but when I use the Bluetooth RFCOMM Service Discovery VI i'm unable to find any services. 

The VI I created is attached. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,488 Views)

can you give me some advice regarding the discovery process? I have a bluetooth dongle and it does not discover anything using your application... what did I forget?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,145 Views)