LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block diagrams messed up: Win 7 or LabVIEW 1012?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, Everybody --

We just got a new computer for the lab here, and I held off on installing LabVIEW 2012 until after the new machine was installed.  All of our computers have been running XP until the new one arrived; it's running Windows 7, and it now has LabVIEW 2012 loaded.

The first time I opened a VI and looked at its block diagram on the new computer, I was floored by how lousy it looked.  Icons wereoverlapping, constants and controls were misaligned, the font sizes had changed, and, in general, the whole diagram was a mess.  I though it just might have been that one, so I opened others and they all look like they were put together by 5-year olds.  (No, I can't drink at work.)

Is this a Windows 7 "feature" or something new with LabVIEW 2012?  I haven't had a chance to install or work with 2012 on the remaining XP computer, so I can't do any comparisons here yet.

I have a LOT of VIs written now, and the thought of having to redo all of them so they're readable is giving me the bad kind of palpitations.  Is there some way to fix this problem without slogging in and doing all of the realigning, etc., manually?

Thanks a million for your time...

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Craters

It's windows 7 that caused the problem.  The default system fonts are different and larger.

See this thread which also has links to several other threads.  Why am I getting different results for the same resolution but different Windows boxes, Win 7 and XP...

Basically, if you add certain lines to your LabVIEW.ini file, it can explicitly define the application, system, and dialog fonts that LabVIEW uses to be matched with the WinXP font and size, rather than the fonts that are defined by the Windows system appearance settings.

Message 2 of 5
(2,932 Views)

Hey, RavensFan!

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was afraid it was something like that, but with nothing to compare it to, it was more of a shot-in-the-dark guess.

I've changed a bunch of my VIs already, but I'm thinking that I'll mess with the .ini file and see if it'll reset them, too.

I don't know if you remember, but you wrote to me last year and said that, if the Ravens went 15-1 and lost only to the Texans, that would be fine with you, as long as they got into the playoffs again.  Well, you were just slightly off with the season record, but it turns out that you were aiming pretty modestly about the playoffs!  Congrats, etc.!

They've been making a big stink here in Houston these days about Ed Reed's not being honest about his injury situation.  Nothing is ever easy...

Thanks again for the quick reply (as usual!) --

Mark

Message 3 of 5
(2,902 Views)

Hi, 

My block diagram is messed up and I can't see parts of it. the program was design by someone else and He was using labview 2013. My labview is 2014, do you think that is the reason block diagram was messed up? should I change to labview 2013?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,730 Views)

LabVIEW 2013 to 2014 wouldn't have caused a problem in messing up the block diagram.  It was either already messed up before, or you have other changes based on Windows changing or different Windows fonts settings causing your problem.

Conversation has now moved to here.  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/block-diagram-messed-up/td-p/3148177

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,718 Views)