LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Diagram Warning

Solved!
Go to solution

With Warnings turned on, I get an 'Event Data Node: cluster has unnamed or duplicate named elements' warning for every event case with the detail of 'The cluster being bundled or unbundled by name has elements with no name, or elements with the same name.' I cannot find the reason for this to happen. Any clues? LV2011

Message 1 of 11
(3,209 Views)

Seems fairly self-explanatory to me. It sounds like you have a shift register and the contents of the shift register is a cluster, and some of the elements don't have names, or they have the same names. You're probably modifying the cluster in the event cases. So, check your cluster.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,205 Views)

Correct - I do have two shift registers with clusters (that are modified in the event cases) but neither share a common Label amongst themselves or with each other as well as the fact that each element is labeled. (I do have decorations in them but after removing the decorations, the warnings still exist.) When I click on the 'Show Error' button in the 'Warnings' window, the 'Event Data Node' is hightlighted not the shift register clusters. According to the LabView Help, the 'Event Data Node' also behaves as an 'Unbundle by Name' function.Coincidental and confusing??

Let me also add that I quickly added another Event structure with a few event cases without the shift register and clusters and the number of warnings increased. The new Event structure had the same warnings even though the front panel clusters were not part of them.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,193 Views)

Are you using typedefs for your clusters? If not I suggest that you do that. Without the typedef it can be challenging to keep all you controls, indicators and constants of the cluster in synch.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,181 Views)

I did as Mark Y. recommended but I still have all my warnings.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,176 Views)
Solution
Accepted by j.masse

I was able to duplicate using two approaches.

1) Enable show warning then restart LV

2) Add a dynamic event node and wire reg to same. After saving we get teh message. Checking using float-over wiretool help shows it is lableld.

Next

1) Register for a value change of a cluster on the FP.

Warnins only show up after a save.

So far it looks like all cluster invloved in the event workings (no not data being passed through) give me the error.

I checked the cluster value change event in LV 6i and it is fine there so....

I call it a bug.

R&D will probably call it a nucence bug but it is a bug.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 11
(3,154 Views)

I can live with that. Should anything be done at this point?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,141 Views)

@j.masse wrote:

I can live with that. Should anything be done at this point?

As far as your code?

If you are subject to code review or audits, then add a comment to your diagram with the URL of this thread to justify leaving the code with warnings. If no audits then a short comment may be interesting when the artifact is uncovered by future beings.

When the NI AE repies we should make sure we find out what the CAR is. After that it full-auto unless you have reasons that mkae this a priority. If so make it clear so that R&D can take that into concideration.

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,136 Views)

Hello Ben,   

Do you have some code that you can use to recreate this bug?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,094 Views)

@Danceman wrote:

Hello Ben,   

Do you have some code that you can use to recreate this bug?

Thank you. 

No.

I just follwed along with what the top post stated and compared it with LV 6 while also poking around as I mentioned above.

It should be easy to duplicate, Got for it!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,065 Views)